[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - bowsprit HC43 Ketch

bowsprit HC43 Ketch

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

bowsprit HC43 Ketch

Postby schapin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:47 am

Greetings all,
Ive been asked by a friend to replace his rotted out sprit. I very cautiously approach this project. I have sourced VG Doug Fir, to laminate a new log. Spruce can be had for another 50%. My first incliation is to use fir, and lots of penetrating epoxy before laminating it all together, 2x8x14s. Is there any advice, tips, thoughts out there that might save some suffering? He also has a bar for the bobstay? ... dolphin striker, which I think should be cable but... thoughts?
Also, the windlass is mounted on top of the sprit, was this typical? Other options?
Many many thanks,
Samuel
schapin
Landlubber

Re: bowsprit HC43 Ketch

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Samuel,

Regarding the windlass and bobstay. Our windlass is mounted above the bowsprit on it's own SS mount. No bolts run through the sprit. Our bobstay is also solid. I have seen wire stays but could not recommend for or against. In both cases we have friends with a sister ship (another 43 Ketch) that have the exact same setups.

On the thoughts of using Doug Fir, my first concern was weight but after looking at the differences between DF and Apatong (I believe this is the original wood used) you actually save weight using the DF to the tune of .83 lbs per board ft. I would still have concerns with the added weight of the penetrating epoxy and laminating epoxies and at that point what about costs vs Apatong which seems to be widely available for truck decking.

Have you given any thoughts to having a sprit made up of aluminum? Seems several years ago there was talk on the site about the benefits and weight savings. Just a thought.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby stormbay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Our original sprit rotted out because the windlass bolted through it. When I built the new one I also made a mounting plate for the windlass that the spar can slide through. Pics are on my wife blog post . The sprit build can be found here

As for the bobstay, solid rod is usually preferred over wire because of corrosion issues (so close to the water line) and strength.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby mimoza » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:45 am

Tom Friend recently tackled this along with a complete deck refit.
He summarizes in the following thread. As far as the sprit is concerned, he has this to say,
"The new bowsprit is made of laminated Sapele, which I hand-picked for straight tight grain."
The pics are pretty. I think he did the lamination himself. He has a great shop.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4545
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby schapin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:50 am

So many thanks for the replies! After much pushing and shoving the old sprit lies ignobly in the back of the van. Rot throughout with bits of bondo... really bondo?
I will suggest a different mount for the windlass, the sprit was nearly hollow beneath the windlass. And from the looks is, or was, mahogany.
I very much like the drilling jig idea, and the bit of jackfruit warms the heart as we are actually on Kauai. Point taken on the bobstay, I will not urge it's replacement but will suggest a rigger inspect all stainless fittings. Rigging is not my circus.
I was amused to see the bow rise 3" after all the removal, and would go for spruce myself but not my call.... I well appreciate cost/value considerations.
After a quick trip east Ill get back home and begin the build. Pictures and pain to follow as time allows.
Thanks again,
Samuel
schapin
Landlubber

Return to Rigworks