[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - I power washed the teak, now what?

I power washed the teak, now what?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

I power washed the teak, now what?

Postby clonjers » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 pm

I knew before I started that power washing is not the best for the teak as the high-pressure water removes the soft grain leaving the wood serface very rough.

I have done this a few times in the last 30 years, this time it seens to have really removed more of the soft grain.

Is there some kind of sanding filler/sealer product I can apply that I can then sasnd and varnish over? Also it would be nice if it did not leave a slippery surface on the parts of the deck I don't want to varnish?

Saved me a very sore back and knees by cleaning it this way, and evern though the decks are 30 years old it still looks pretty good.

Thanks for any help you could give me.
clonjers
First Mate

Some Refinishing Products

Postby boatpride » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 am

Hi Clonjers,

reading through your post reminded me of a page i wrote regarding generic products and sealants for decking and wood on board. It covers a range of explanations of the products, but no specific recommendations for brands.

Many products share similar properties so brands are not always crucial, it's what's in the tin rather than on the tin that's important. Have a look at this page http://www.boatpride.com/teak-refinishing.html

Best Wishes

Chris
________
Last edited by boatpride on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
boatpride
Landlubber

Postby mike » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:45 pm

The decks on JS had been pressure washed for a number of year when we bought her & looked dreadfull, I took the risk & GENTLY cut them back with a power plane before sanding with 80 then 120 grit DA sander. Have a look at the pics.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 pm

I should have added that we now keep them clean using mild oxalic acid & a gentle scrub accross the grain.

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Re: I power washed the teak, now what?

Postby lionheart » Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Mike, my decks (HC Christina 40) are 25 years old and suffer from the same problem of too much jetting. Did you also have the problem of the deck screw heads starting to show? Did you screw them in further? Thanks. Ray
lionheart
Landlubber

Postby mike » Tue May 06, 2014 8:41 am

Fortunately I've only one screw head that's showing, I'm going to remove it and either bore the hole slightly deeper, use a shorter screw and plug over it or just plug the hole, there's more than sufficient depth to bore slightly deeper and re-plug.

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 am

Ray,

Where is Lionheart now, I was working in Royal Quays last week and were talking about her as that's where I last saw her. Last I heard she was in Ipswitch?

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby lionheart » Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, most useful info. Yes she is still in Ipswich awaiting various jobs completion, genny, decks etc. How do you know of her? Ray.
lionheart
Landlubber

Postby mike » Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 am

Hi Ray,

She was in Royal Quays Newcastle when we were in there having our new spray hood fitted, had a look round her, looked to be in very good condition, totally different to the traditional HC. Strangely I was working there last week and was speaking to the manager of the brokerage, her name was mentioned as he is looking for a Hans Christian in the near future, we both wondered if she was still in Ipswitch.

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby lionheart » Sat May 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Oh well I was also looking and I found her, she is in very good condition and has many blue water items which is what I was after. I am sure she's not a one off as I've seen at least one advertised in the USA but there can't be many Christina's. I really like the look of her and can't wait to get to sea. The association is a good thing to belong to. Thanks for your help I hope I can help someone else one day.

Happy sailing

Ray
lionheart
Landlubber

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints