[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Best Bottom Paint

Best Bottom Paint

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Best Bottom Paint

Postby johnrobinson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm planning to haul-out and paint the bottom in a few weeks. I'm now located in the cool Pacific Northwest and have been using a good quality ablative paint which seems to work well . . . I'm in the second year of the last paint job. However, I'm planning to head south next spring and am wondering what is best for the relativly warmer waters of Mexico and the Carribean. The yard tells me that if I want to go to a hard finish instead of the soft ablative finish I need to sand down to the barrier coat and start again. Since the paint is realtivly thin now this would be a good time to do it. I know that opinions on bottom paint are like opinions on varnish, there are many, they are strongly held and highly varied. Any thoughts on hard versus soft and particular types of paint would be most welcome. Also are there restrictions to the use of ablative paint in other countries that may bear on my decision.

Regards, John Robinson, s/v Crossings (43T), Seattle
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi John,

When we hauled out for our bottom job in February of 2004 we had asked around with the same question. Because we were planning on heading south we decided to ask cruisers that had been to the Caribbean what worked well for them.

We were surprised to hear so many good things about West Marine's Bottom Paint Pro (made by Petit). So we decided to give it a try. And glad we did. We put on three coats, four at the waterline.

It's been three and a half years and the bottom still looks good. In the first three years I never had to touch the bottom. In the past six months I have to go down and lightly scrub to remove the growth.

It's time for us to do another bottom job which we'll do in a couple months in Colombia. If I could buy the same paint down here I would not hesitate to use it again! Unfortunately that's not the case and we'll have to use something else.

I'm impressed on how the West Marine Bottom Paint Pro held up in the warm Caribbean waters. Two thumbs up from Bruadair

D & D
s/v Bruadair
www.bruadair.us
Bocas del Toro, Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby Bill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Damon,

I believe we used Bottom Pro on our boat as well. Was yours an abalative or hard paint.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby sv_bruadair » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 pm

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby mike » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Here in the Uk we applied Coppercoat last year & have found it to be excellent, we do however get some slime which easily pressure washes off. Although quite expensive the system lasts for a minimum of 10 years.

Mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby ccam » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:33 am

If you have the funds, I highly recommend Speed Prop for prop, shaft and rudder. I had it applied in May and no attachments as of August.

clc
Cam
s/v Sea Horse
1984 HC 33T #61
ccam
Crew

European/Global Legislation

Postby boatpride » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:44 pm

If it's any help over the next few years the legislation will be changing regarding what additives are put in bottom paint. Sweden is leading the way ethically through government funded organizations. The Caribbean is much more relaxed about these changes.

I would get on the phone or mail some marinas in the area your traveling to shoot the breeze over what locals use. That way you'll get a better feel.

Best Wishes

Chris

http://www.boatpride.com/bottom-painting.html
________
boatpride
Landlubber

Postby edelweiss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 pm

1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints