[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Companionway steps - HC43T

Companionway steps - HC43T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Companionway steps - HC43T

Postby daves » Sat May 21, 2016 12:06 pm

this might be tricky to explain without pictures but i'll try...

i need to move the companionway stairs forward. Boat is an 1982 HC43T.

The steps are currently hinged at the base, nicley set up so they lay flat on the cabin sole when in the down position. When in place they rest against and are secured to the top 10" or so of the side planks that incorporate the top step. Where they rest together the side planks are cut in a lovely S-curve so they sit together really nicely.

This top section containing the top step is screwed through into packing pieces and the side walls in 4 places on each side. In addition there are bronze brackets screwed into the inside of the bridgedeck at the top orf the stairs.

The base is hinged on a bar running through the two side walls and supported by circular teak blocks approx 4" above the cabin sole.

The quality of the woodwork is very high and i suspect the arrangement is original, but there is the possibility that it is a modification done by the previous owner and there are some modifications to other woodwork on the boat that are also of a very hight standard.

and so to my problem, question:
i have removed the screws holding the top step, and the bronze brackets. but i cannot get the top step out.
does the set up as ive explained it sound original? does anyone else have the same?
and if it is, has anyone any idea whether there are additional fixings in the top step that i havent found yet?

so you know, the reason i neeed to move the steps is that the new generator installation requires about 55mm more space. the plan is to move the whole steps assembly further forward by blocking out aft of the top step and shifting the hinge bar forward.

i look forward to hearing any experience you have of such mods or knowledge oabout the construction of the steps. of course if the current arrangement isnt original, its anyone's guess how it has been done.

regards
Dave

PS i have also posted this in the HC43 board as i suspect that gets more views.
Now the new and proud owner of a '82 HC43T
daves
Landlubber

Re: Companionway steps - HC43T

Postby Bill » Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi Dave,

Might be easier to discuss if you have some pictures. We have a genset located in the position that you intend to place yours already. Our boat is a 1979 43 Ketch. I know there have been changes but I don't recall ever seeing a set of stairs hinged at the bottom, so this might be semi-custom. I have seen them hinged from the top enabling them to swing up and out of the way for work within the cubby below and aft of the staircase, or similar to ours which are lifted out of the way and placed somewhere which is inconvenient while working on the genset.

The cubby has a build-out that allows for an Entec generator (4.5 kw) to fit below. It is a tight fit but certainly workable. We have no top step that is separate from the ladder/stair case. The last tread on the staircase is about 8" below the companionway threshold.

Bill
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Re: Companionway steps - HC43T

Postby chrisray12 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Our 43 is exactly the same as Bill. It lifts out of a bronze mount. Latched door behind comapnionway steps lead to gen set location.
chrisray12
Crew

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints