Caulking between bulwark teak

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Caulking between bulwark teak

Postby jonathan38 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I am currently preparing the bulwark teak for Awlwood coating, Once I sanded back it becomes clear that the bulwark teak planks have been set with a 2-3mm gap between planks. there is some old caulking material in these gaps. I will upload a shot.

I intend to add new caulking back into the gaps, so have a few questions

What to use? (you cannot buy Dolphinite in NZ....)
Should i use Teak Decking systems caulk (can buy this)?
If I use TDS should I caulk before or after applying the Awlwood (as Awlwood will not stick to the caulk...)?

Gut says caulk first as the caulk will prob outlast the Awlwood....
Will post an image up of the gap etc.

EDIT: Local boat builders saying sika 552 is the answer , preparation is very important for good bonding against the teak, needs cleaning and activator/primer , also say if you squirt enough in it will help bond planks to boat. $20 nzd a 300ml tube from auto shop paint supplier.
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Re: Caulking between bulwark teak

Postby chrisray12 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 pm

I would actually wait until after you awlwood. Make sure you do not let any varnish get into the seam. The reason behind this is Polysulfied can react differently with chemical in the varnish and allow it to become hard and brittle. I know from experience that goldspar and cetol all made TDS become brittle within 1 year. No experience with Awlwood. TDS is really good stuff and I prefer over sika any day of the week. The downside is that the tube does not keep long after you open even when you try your best to reseal for possible future use. My recommendation to find other polysulfied to replace on deck and bulwerk so you are not wasting a full tube on a 5 inch seam.
chrisray12
Crew

Re: Caulking between bulwark teak

Postby jonathan38 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:19 am

Hi , i still owe that photo, I am 1/2 way along the port side sanding and i definitely need some caulking. Also screw heads showing, going to lower and replug these, boards are variable thickness, guess they used offcuts etc. Awlwood was made here in Auckland NZ under the name Uroxsys, then they sold out for $$ and it became awlwood. it is a great product seen boats here 5 years old and looking great, it was 1./2 the price back then, shame on me for not moving faster.. anyways i am going to talk to the tech guy at the plant who makes it, the local region rep had no clue. also that lee's boatyard on the vimeo videos is only 50km away, will chat with them before doing anything as well.

they say you can go over sika with Awlwood but I want to talk to the boss first
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints