Kudos in PDX

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Kudos in PDX

Postby fourasailor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:07 am

Does anyone know any details or history of Kudos in Portland, Oregon?

Greg
fourasailor
Landlubber

Re: Kudos in PDX

Postby mattrock » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 pm

I've only seen it on yachtworld. No teak decks is a plus I suppose. And the engine looks fairly new.
mattrock
Landlubber

Postby jeanann » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Any updated info. on this boat? It's been for sale since May of 2015 w/ a price drop, which is concerning.
jeanann
Landlubber

Postby seabound » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:21 am

Update, I put a down payment on her. Owner accepted our offer which was quite a bit less than it was listed for. Survey was done last week. Good solid boat, needs a major cleaning and lots of little things replaced/repaired. Surveyor, Alison Mazon did an awesome job, I'm no dummy when it comes to boats and mechanical, ASE Master Tech myself among others, She was very thorough and helpful, I learned a lot. She stated the boat had "good bones". Now waiting on the engine survey results and hopefully be bringing her home soon.
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby radnroo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Congratulations! We were in email contact with the broker on that one last winter. We never did go look at her and ended up buying one up here on the Puget Sound, but same year and same model as Kudos! Since purchase we have changed out all below waterline seacocks, rebuilt the rudder, pulled/turned/balanced the shaft, pulled/serviced the prop, replaced the transfer case, repacked the packing gland, replaced the water pump, replaced all copper water pipes with pex and the gate valves with ball valves, replaced the antique :) VHF, made friends with the antique GPS... and so on and so forth... In other words, we have begun to scratch the surface on the projects. But we love her and we have already taken her on a couple mini adventures (the requisite summer San Juan trip) and survived a "storm at sea" (6' - 8', some 10' waves crossing the Strait during a storm) and she kept us safe and secure! These boats don't just have good bones, they have amazing bones. The project list is long and it will take us a long time to get through it (if ever, lets be real, are we ever done with a project list on a boat?) but so worth it!
Keep us informed on your progress and again, Congratulations!
radnroo
Landlubber

Postby seabound » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you. I agree the list will never end. But like you I think these boats are well worth it. I will be bringing the boat to its new home on Saturday Labor Day weekend. I have already started replacing some of the hoses as I couldn't even fill it up with fuel with the rotten ones that were in it. The engine and transmission are fairly new but when they did this engine swap they left the old left hand propeller on and of the wrong size. Yes the boat right now goes forward when you put it in reverse and Reverse when you put it in forward. Which I found out is not good for a hurth transmission. So one of my first projects is going to be replacing that which I already have the replacement propeller. Picked up a Garmin 840xs chartplotter refurbished for about 1/3 the price of new with a year warranty. The old Furuno radar works, as does the older apelco depth sounder. My first priority this weekend is to start resealing all the hardware on the deck and then give her a good washing. Fortunately we found really nothing major wrong with her it's all just little things from quite honestly being neglected for several years. Good luck with yours and keep in touch.....
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby seabound » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Well things are going well. The boat is smelling a lot better. I think it basically sat unused for a lot of years. All the porthole windows are resealed and new gaskets made with 10mm speargun tubing, which by the way works perfectly. Thanks to whom had that idea. I read it somewhere on here. New prop is on, did it with scuba gear, actually it went quite well with the puller I made. Beat paying to have it hauled out again. Next spring with be time to haul out and take care of the bottom. Spent most of this last weekend chasing down wiring. Found some things that weren't working, that were just disconnected. Really makes me wonder what was going on. The anchor light and steaming light both on the mast were not hooked up. Both work perfectly, also I have all the lights in the boat changed to LED's. It's raining here now so the test on my rebedding all the hardware is on full force, so far so good. I even got the old Autohelm 6000 autopilot working, was glad to see that works fine. Next projects are change all the engine fluids, and hook up engine coolant to hot water heater. That was left undone when they replaced the hot water heater. And get the Lofranś Tigres anchor windlass working and serviced. I'm getting a lot of compliments about what a pretty boat. I certainly think they are. :D
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby seabound » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:50 pm

As the projects continue.... I got the anchor winch running as the solenoids didn't even have power applied to them. Wiring has been the most time-consuming so far. As whoever in the past that has done much on this boat did not know what they were doing. They even wired the Webasto heater backwards, pos-neg which in turn fried the brain box and since it's an older one it's no longer available. I've installed a fuel polishing system. Replaced and replumbed all the engine fuel hoses. Replaced fuel tank sending units. Installed a complete instrument panel at the nav station with a secondary set of gauges for the engine. I've still got one leak somewhere around the nav station and rearward. For the life of me I can't figure out where the water is coming from. Purchased a loos tension gauge for the rigging and just with a quick check the rigging is so loose it doesn't even hit the scale. Along with lots of other little things she's coming along nicely.
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby jonathan38 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 am

They are great boats, been through 55knots and 8m seas in the pacific, they will look after you and are easy to steer downwind even in a big blow. seen 12knots on the gps as we went down a wave... Had lots of 100nm days but some bad 60nm ones as well....

I am lucky that someone replaced virtually everything in 1998 including chainplates, and all the rubbish that normally comes onboard.
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Return to HC38