[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Water tanks

Water tanks

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Water tanks

Postby bobbyboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi, I'm looking at buying a HC38 and have been told that one of the water tanks needs to be replaced. Where can I find some information on the location of the tanks? Are they under the sole and require significant tearing to get to? Or are they reasonably accessible?

Thanks!
bobbyboy
Landlubber

Re: Water tanks

Postby andyv94 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 pm

If I am not wrong the water tanks are built into the keel, at least they are in the HC33. Are you sure you are not talking about the diesel tanks that are below each of the beds?
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby edelweiss » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 am

There are 3 tanks on the 38T they are all in the center line and the 2 forward tanks are Stainless steel. The small aft tank is glassed into hull. We don't use the small tank. The forward stainless tank is in front of the compression post. There is enough cabinetry over it that I suspect you would have to cut up the tank to remove it. The middle tank is just aft of the compression post and it maybe be possible to remove the tank after taking up some of the floor boards. I have not done this and have no experience with it.

There are some other options to removing the tanks that involve spraying the inside of the tank with a coating that is rated for water tanks and would extend the life of the tank for quite some time. I would suggest looking into this as an option before tearing the boat up for new tanks.

Mark Raine
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Postby seabound » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Thank you Mark for clarifying what that small aft tank is. In the boat I bought it was so filthy I couldn't even tell there was a tank back there. Once I got everything cleaned up, I found a small clear plexiglass access hatch.
Nothing is hooked up to that tank at this time but that may change in the future.
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby jonathan38 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 am

I think it depends on your boat My HC38 mrk II has two tanks both in the keel space but seperate tot he keel, mine are fiberglass , i suspect they where insalled aftermarket
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Postby charles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Does anyone know the capacities of the tanks? 40 gallons each? thnx
Charles
sv Seagate 38T
Ventura, CA
charles
First Mate

Postby clonjers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

My HC34 had a dipstick in he fuel tanks. Onced the tank was empty I poured five gallons at a time into the tank and marked the dipstick at each 5 gallon mark. Simple, accurate.
clonjers
First Mate

Return to HC38