[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Knowledge from experienced HC-owner is needed

Knowledge from experienced HC-owner is needed

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Knowledge from experienced HC-owner is needed

Postby nautisk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am

We look seriously at a HC38T (1987) that is for sale in Europe, and hoping to become a HC owner ;)
We have almost no boatbuilder in Denmark with experience in HC, I hope you can help me.

The boat has some issues to follow up before we buy it:
1) Is the hull solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
2) Is the deck solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
3) Is the Bulwarks solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
4) The support for the "guard rail" are loose, how are they attached?
5) All chainplates is serious leaky, and the hull around the chainplates is sunken between 4-6 millimeters, see picture.
- which core is behind, dos other HC owners have had the same problem?
6) Due to leaky chainplates, accommodation is damaged, see picture.
- Are the ceiling panels and walls to be removed and re-established without the major problems?
- How are these mounted?

Hope experienced owner can help, thank you in advance.
Many greetings
Martin (Denmark) +45 20 63 90 97
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nautisk
Landlubber

Re: Knowledge from experienced HC-owner is needed

Postby jonneely » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm

I know a thing or two about HC's we own a 33 but I have a fair amount of experience working on a bunch of different boats, my advice is nearly my option though so take it with a major grain of salt.

1) Is the hull solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
Hull is solid glass hand laid
2) Is the deck solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
All Hc38s to my knowledge a sandwich with a ply core
3) Is the Bulwarks solid glassfiber or sandwich construction?
Bulworks are solid glass with generally a hollow cavity in the center to access genoa track nuts.
4) The support for the "guard rail" are loose, how are they attached?
Im guessing you are referring to the life line stanchions. This can be was easy as tightening up the bases or as hare as needing to get to the backside of the bulwark to get a wrench on the back of the nut so you can tighten. Or if a ton of stress has been put on them they may have borne off bolts, not sure what your issue is. On our HC33 our stanchion bases have a piece of metal plate for all 4 bolts that is glassed into the bulwark. Each one of these boats slightly differentiate from each other so each one is its own special case.
5) All chainplates is serious leaky, and the hull around the chainplates is sunken between 4-6 millimeters, see picture.
- which core is behind, dos other HC owners have had the same problem?
This is a bit scary. Hopefully its just the headliner getting wet so its collapsing but I have seen before there the wood knee that the chainplate is thru-bolted on has started to rise because the core of the deck is so saturated it begins to crush under load. This could be potentially a bigger project but not the end of the world by any means, judging for the other photo it dosent look like the wood knee has moved at all so I think you are fine, a surveyor will hopefully give you a better Idea on this.
6) Due to leaky chainplates, accommodation is damaged, see picture.
- Are the ceiling panels and walls to be removed and re-established without the major problems?
- How are these mounted?
On the Hc33 they are screwed in and bunged then painted, very hard to remove. My technique has been to use a oscillating multi tool and cut out any bad wood then glue new wood in. Repairs look factory and. Judging by the photo it would not be that hard, the white wood around doesn't have tung and groove so after cutting it out measure the thickness, use the old piece as a template, glue w/ thickened epoxy, fill cut grooves at the same time with the epoxy, sand flat and paint white, presto!

Hope that helped!

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby nautisk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Dear Jon, thank you for taking time to answer! It gives me more clarity
I, however, have a little follow-up questions

When the deck is made of Core with ply. I can expect a lot of water in the sandwitch, -probably ;(

You write that the hull is solid glassfiber, it's all the way from keel to Bulwarks? or just below the waterline?

If bulworks are hollow, how do you get in there with a wrench?
Is there access from below deck?

Yes, of course it is life line stanchions, -sorry for my lack of English.

My biggest concern is the collapse of the hull around the chainplates.
I invite a boat builder for the next inspection...

/martin
nautisk
Landlubber

Postby jonneely » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

The entire hut from bottom of keel to tops of bulwark are solid glass. When it comes to the level of water intrusion there are a few different variables. If it was made with individual square pieces of plywood then there is a good chance that the water is contained. I believe this was the method used on the the HC38s. If it is end grain balsa usually moisture can wick much further. A moisture meter should give you a good indication on how far the water goes. To get to the gem track bolts you need to wither remove or cut out the headliner that is under it. The times I have seen it done is when its cut out and a piece of teak makes a cover piece to hide the incision which looks good if you do it right.
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Martin

In case you might be interested, in selling my HC 33. It’s in great shape with lots of new systems.

Jon, knows a ton about HC’s..... he’s the person to listen to .

Andy
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby jonathan38 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 am

personally i would look for another boat, this one needs too much work
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Postby nautisk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Thank you for input,
- several mention this, "too much work"

What do you compare with, it is a wooden boat or modern mass-produced fiberglass boat?
nautisk
Landlubber

Postby nautisk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Thank you for the offer Andy,
- but we have a 33 foot both for sale, we want to upgrade the size of the boat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nautisk
Landlubber

Postby jonathan38 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:23 pm

i was meaning another HC... many have had chainplates replaced etc. Almost all HCs need constant work... they imho are high maintenance boats, only boat I have had higher was a lightweight 30ft planning young 8.4 racer. its not that they wheren't built heavy enough, it was that the quality of components was imho not up there.

They are now also getting older.

That said I have been through some pretty rough sea in HC38 and it just trucked, sustained 35's for days, heaving to in 50s. they are a wet boat in big water, you will have a lot of water in the cockpit. It sits in corners as it cant drain.
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Postby andyv94 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm

That’s the opposite of the 33 in that the have great drainage and thus a fairly dry cockpit!!
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby staufeldt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you for this very detailed conversation. Just saved me a trip to Aabenraa! :-)
staufeldt
Landlubber

Postby nautisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Just for follow-up.
I have conducted a survey with a boat builder and found the following.
The hull is solid fiberglass.

All chainplates are coming up through the deck.
The base is loosened from the hull and lifts the deck app. 3-4 mm up.
- which has resulted in the hull around the chainplates being sunken between 4-6 millimeters.
Due to leaky chainplates, accommodation is water damaged and rotten.

Bowsprit is rotten and must be replaced.

The teak deck is loosened in several places and must be fixed.

Running rigging must be replaced.

These are the most serious points, I will save the hard-disk for the rest of the list.

Next Family Question; would we like this project...
;)
nautisk
Landlubber

Postby andyv94 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 pm

What’s the asking price if you don’t mind me asking?
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby nautisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 am

no problem, asking price is 121.400 USD / 99.000 EUR
Probably too much!
nautisk
Landlubber