HC 38T vs. HC 39PH Hull Difference?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

HC 38T vs. HC 39PH Hull Difference?

Postby martinus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 am

Hi,
Very new to the community and the forum, so please handle me with care. Not currently a HC owner but they are high on my list for a new boat this summer. 1 boat currently on the market in the PNW is a 39PH but the only thing I can find is that it’s a pilot house on a 38T hull. Are the hull of the 38T and the 39PH identical or has the hull been lengthened a foot as the nomenclature might suggest? Any input would be helpful on the subject matter.
Thank you,
Martinus
martinus
Landlubber

Re: HC 38T vs. HC 39PH Hull Difference?

Postby seabound » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 am

I am by no means an expert, but from the few pics I can find online of a 39ph, basically the same, but the rudder is completely different. It appears to have a shoe underneath as my 38T does not. You need someone way more experienced with these boats than I am... Good luck
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby martinus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 am

Thank you, Seabound.
I recognize the only way to know how she sails is to sail her, but a sea trial will only tell you as much as the conditions allow. Trying to figure out how the vast experiences of the 38T will translate.
Cheers,
Martinus
martinus
Landlubber

Postby seabound » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 am

I guess the first thing is what are you looking for? What do you want a boat to do and where do you want it to go. I know there are many online, here and other sites, facebook etc. that have tons more experience with these boats than I do. Like I said, I purchased mine this summer and am very happy. I think I got a great deal. If you want something fast, and light, they are not. I personally wanted a heavy deep drafted vessel. My history comes from commercial fishing for a lot of years and sport fishing to. I have over 30 years experience on the ocean and most of which has been contending with the Columbia River bar. So when it came time for a sailboat, I wanted something tough, that would handle the weather and seas, something I knew wouldn't fall apart and wouldn't be tossed around like a cork. I had a 47' Ed Monk designed troller that weighed in at 25 tons, 7' draft. The old boy I bought it from said the boat can take more than I could, he was right. Tuna fishing I got caught in some pretty good storms offshore, and the boat always did fine. I wanted that in a sailboat. I am impressed with the overall build of the boat, structurally it is built like a tank. The hull to deck joint is better than almost anything I've seen. The hull is very thick and solid. I changed out a thru hull fitting last weekend on the stern for my primary bilge pump, the glass was about 1/2" thick right below the wood trim. I've seen a lot of boats this size, what I call tupperware boats, the glass is only about 1/8'-3/16". So if you want something tough, and will get you there in one piece these I think are awesome boats. I think they look gorgeous to. But if you want to play in protected waters and like fast, responsive and nimble, maybe they are for you. Remember the basic design originates from the old Colin Archer designs used for rescue boats. All in all I think they are pretty cool
seabound
Cabinboy

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 am

I’m looking for a bigger boat. Currently learning to sail in a Cherubini 27 Hunter circa 77. But I’m looking to sail out of the Columbia Gorge to Hawaii in the next couple of years and want a boat that will be a solid short handed sailing vessel as well as a live aboard. This is why the Pilot House is appealing. I eventually plan to do some bigger blue water trips, and might migrate to anHallberg Rassey but for now I don’t need to dump an extra 200k on a boat. That can wait 10 years. Or maybe I’ll decide that slow and stable is the way to go after the experience.

Postby clonjers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Look at HC41's, Idf they were available when I bought my HC3 I would have gotten the HC41
clonjers
First Mate

Return to HC38