[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - staysail

staysail

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

staysail

Postby sn2crz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:45 pm

Broad question I know, but my experience prior to owning my 38 MK11 was all on sloops. To date I have found limited information as well as personal(everyone I've been able to ask are similarly cutter chalenged), what are the benifits and uses of the staysail?
sn2crz
Landlubber

Postby warmrain » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby sn2crz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:45 pm

sn2crz
Landlubber

Postby warmrain » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm

I cannot address the furling systems (we are hanked sails) except to say that they do not furl the sail with a perfect shape, though there are sailmakers with patented methods for improving the shape significantly when furled (e.g. foam luff).

Don't confuse roller furling with roller reefing (you have the former).

I had a 11% built that reefs to the same square footage as the Yankee. I can fly the staysail with it and it is great in the ligher summer air we have here. The reef provides flexibility (I do not have to change down to the Yankee (though I do for winter sailing) and a backup if I tear the foot of the genny.

I cannot address roller furler order of reefing, except to say that when you reef it is beast to keep the center of efforts near the center of the boat. That happens naturally for the main, but a reefed genoa moves the center of effort forward. While a dumped genny and a set staysail keeps it centered over the keel.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Return to Seamanship, Seawoman and Seaperson