[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Backing up

Backing up

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Backing up

Postby ballymack » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am

Hi - I was checking to see if any long-term double-ender owner has a good plan for backing one up. My wife and I have owned an HC 48 for about 4 years and everytime I run into another double-ender owner I ask this question and get a smile and subsequent laugh that it's guesswork.

Is there a secret to it that few have figured out?

And we have a bow thruster, so my sympathies go out to those who don't have that luxury (and no smart aleck comments :) about how lame we are!).

Mike
ballymack
Cabinboy

Backing up

Postby ladyanne » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:47 am

ladyanne
Landlubber

Postby SVTambadil » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:06 am

Chad & Carolyn sv "Tambadil"
1987 HC 43 Traditional Cutter #111
"...to sail beyond the sunset..."

www.tambadil.com
SVTambadil
Crew

Postby chickenbone » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:32 pm

chickenbone
Crew

Postby chuck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Chuck Schaeffler
1982 43T Ketch
chuck
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Last edited by warmrain on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby SVTambadil » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:32 pm

www.tambadil.com
SVTambadil
Crew

The technique works!

Postby svandiamo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:29 am

Let me just quickly say that I read this post thoroughly to include the link provided earlier prior to driving our HC43 for the first time. I wanted to make sure I didnt bang up my new boat the first day out. At 52' 9" overall, we've got a lot of boat to clear. The tips and techniques here worked like a champ. We just moved our Andiamo from Port Angeles, WA down to Olympia this past weekend. I was a bit nervous and intimited to say the least. However, keeping in mind the things I had read here, handling the boat was a breeze. Pulling into the marina in Olympia, I even turned the boat around 180 degrees within about the length of the boat using the "back and fill" technique. It was easier than I anticipated. When backing out of the slip, I just used the space available and judged the wind and current as best I could. Indeed I had to gather "steerageway" in reverse before the rudder would be effective, but becuase of a strong engine and a great max-prop, I was able to stop our backwards momentum at a moment's notice, followed by the "fill" portion of the technique was then able to turn out and proceed out of the marina like a pro.

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips and saving me much embarassment. As soon as I get some sweet skills, I will share them with the group! Until then, I'll just keep cheating and using you guys as my cruch stealing your skills and playing them off as my own. Thanks!
SV Andiamo III 1982 HC43T #68
svandiamo
Landlubber

Postby clonjers » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I have an HC34 and it always backs in to the wind.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby SVTambadil » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:24 pm

www.tambadil.com
SVTambadil
Crew

Return to Seamanship, Seawoman and Seaperson