[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Weather Helm on a cutter similar to a Hans !

Weather Helm on a cutter similar to a Hans !

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Weather Helm on a cutter similar to a Hans !

Postby bazzer69 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I have a True North 34, it's actually about 42 with the bowsprit and pulpit. I have just purchased a new mainsail and sailed her for the first time. Initially I hoisted just the main in a freshening wind in San Pablo Bay, the amount of weather helm was horrible, being single handed with a crappy old autopilot it was hard to hoist a number 1 Yankee, but I did get it up, but still weather helm, with several degrees of rudder needed even down wind. Do you think I should have put a reef in? Or maybe a larger Yankee or a jib? There is some growth on the hull, but not a lot, I do have a large genny type Yankee.
What are your thoughts??
I would love to here from other cutter owners.
I should add that a True North has a full length keel with a stern hung rudder.
Thanks

Bazzer
bazzer69
Cabinboy

Postby mimoza » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 am

I like the True North. It's a fine boat.

Does your new main have a lot of roach? full battens? More sail area than you previously had? Is it bigger than the design drawings specify?

How much is several degrees? 5? 10? Is this deviation symmetric for both port and starboard? You mentioned a freshening breeze. Beaufort says that's 16-20 knots. You might have simply been overpowered.

My opinion only:
If your sail is a little bigger than the previous one, I would be tempted to just live with three or four degrees weather helm when going upwind, provided you aren't overpowered. But if you need to reef in a gentle to moderate breeze, I would think about having the sail recut. Take your time. I would sail her several more times before making that call, as it is easy for the sailmaker to reduce sail area, but a little more difficult to increase it.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby bazzer69 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:21 pm

bazzer69
Cabinboy

Return to Seamanship, Seawoman and Seaperson