D50 Raw water line inaccessable

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

D50 Raw water line inaccessable

Postby Nolans38 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:27 am

I have a 38T with the BMW D50 engine. Just replaced the impeller and seal, need to replace the raw water input line that appears to attach to the oil pump area on the stbd side of rhe motor. Problem is it is not accessable. Options appear to be jack the engine up or crawl into the bilge (6ft 220lbs, yea, right) and worm under the engine. anyone have a thought on how to do this besides going on a diet? Thanks, John
Nolans38
Landlubber

Postby warmrain » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:33 pm

I can only give you some conceptual ideas as I have not been on a 38T in some years...

I recenlty had to replace my fuel injection pump. It is located on the starboard side of the engine below the exhaust manifold. The trouble is there is a bulkhead just about 8 inches away (that separates the engine from the quarter berth).

As it turns out, *under* the quarter berth plywood there is a door there to access that side of the engine. So my first thought is: Is there a door there on your boat, is it a similar layout? My second thought it: If it is a similar layout and there isn't a door there (removable panel with a frame around it held in place by twisty things) can you cut an access door there?

Second train of thought is: If you really think that it can be accessed via the bilge and your problem is you physical bulk. Get some 5'9" 150# guy (like me) to crawl in there for you...

~Cars
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby Nolans38 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:43 am

Cars,

No majic door on this one. It buts to the fiberglass keel, under the throttle mechanism, no room if there was a door. Skinny kid may be an option, thinking that jacking the motor up on that side is probably my best bet. Would require disconnecting the shaft, loosening the motor mounts, couple of stout boards and my rolling car floor jack. That may give me the ~6 inches of height I need on the STBD side to reach into the compartment, unscrew the hose clamp and replace/re-route a new hose. Next boats gonna have a walk in engine room... Thanks for your thoughts though.

V/r,
John
Nolans38
Landlubber

Return to Help!