How to attach photos and other documents to your message

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

How to attach photos and other documents to your message

Postby mimoza » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:03 pm

A few of the elements of the user interface can be a bit confusing, so I'll try to be clear.

To attach any file to a post: (including pictures)

1) Make sure it is one of the allowed file types

Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes
Archives -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
ace gtar gz rar tar zip
Documents -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
ai doc dot pdf ppt ps xls
Images -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
gif jpeg jpg png tga tif tiff
Plain Text -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
c cpp diz h hpp txt

(If your file isn't allowed then put it in a zip file and post the zip file.)

2) Compose your message
This starts with hitting the Post Reply button at the bottom of the thread to which one wishes to post.

3) Click the "Add an Attachment" button just above the "Preview" & "Submit" buttons. There is a "Posted Attachment" button next to it which lets you see which files you have already attached. If none are attached, this button will not appear.

4) Scroll to the bottom of your post, because the page will probably jump back to the beginning. Where it says "Filename" click on "Browse" and find the file you want to post. Click on it and make sure the file's path appears in the Filename box.

5) Put something in the File Comment box to identify your attachment. This will be displayed with your post.

6) Muy importante!!! Click on the "Add Attachment" button next to the file comment box. If you skip this step, your file will not be posted. Note that the File Name and File Comment boxes will now be blank. This is the expected behavior, and it means your file was attached successfully. You may now add another file, or just hit "Submit".

Note that the attachments appear in reverse order of how I posted them. When I figure that one out, I'll write a book about it.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Return to Help!