[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Main boom

Main boom

This is the very first HCOA message board. The messages were converted but may contain some booboos. But there are over 9000 messages of info to look through.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Re: Main boom

Postby Sam Thayer » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:32 pm

You know guys, I got a HC so I could stop worrying about such details! I love my 33T with all her faults, and wouldn't make any changes to her performance design just for convenience or a little more speed. If these are really important, go buy a J-Boat.
Sam samthayer@msn.com
Sam Thayer

Re: Main boom, weather helm, 33

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:12 pm

Shortly after we took delivery of our new 33 in 1986 I asked my sailmaker about the supplied main from UK. The top of the leech (esp. by the upper batten) rubbed the backstay while tacking. I asked him about cutting it back. His reply was that the boat didn't have enough main to begin with and to leave it alone. I left it alone. In the time to come I have discovered how right he was. If anything I've thought of adding roach. I'm not found of full-batten mains, but I've seen some racing mains with longer than usu. battens and large roaches. If you consider the size of the main and the proximity of the boom to the backstay (it will touch if raised high enough - an accidental jib could be a small disaster), it seems that this cutter rig and hull combination should have had more than a cosmetic boomkin. Like the Westsail and the Rafiki, it really needs a proper boomkin so that she can have another 8-12" of boom and proper distance from the backstay... Our sail trimming experience mirrors yours. And yes, in wind that suits her and properly sailed she can be fast. We once beat out a Santa Cruz of similar length to weather. The heavy 33 could coast through the dead spots and the lighter boat had to drift through and then re-accelerate... - Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Re: Main boom, dodger, gallows

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:26 pm

We chose a spray dodger height that allows us both to see over it while standing at the wheel and to see under it (through the windows) while seated at the wheel...
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:29 pm

I'm of your mind Sam,
We still have hanked on sails! And I've not changed her mainsail for the 16 years I've owned her. Still, just a little more main would be nice.
- Steve
HC33T #123 warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Adrian » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:55 am

Brian, The previous owner (or before him) did this for exactly the same reason you have and I love it. 1 I have full standing headroom under the bimini while standing on the seating area in the cockpit. 2. The boom was raised about 12" 3. I suspect the main was cut accordingly. 4. Having never sailed an HC before Silent Partner so it is difficult to say that I have lost any power / speed. They just do not go up wind worth a darn - on a reach and down wind - great sailing - like a rock in 3-4 foot choppy seas - I actually put a wine glass on the cabin top and it did not spill - 5. If I wanted speed I certianly would not have bought an HC (I did that most of my life) so whatever speed was lost by raising the boom and cutting the main is irrelivant - I have real comfort - both living and sailing. If you are interested I will take some measurements and send some pics. Adrian adrian@leeslabs.com
Adrian

Postby Lewis Whitesell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:14 am

I have lots of friends who used to tactfully mention that I should not expect much in the way of speed out of my 38. Since then, most of them have seen my heels at one time or another. No she is not weatherly, not great in light wind, but with wind and on a reach she is definitely fast, not gazelle fast but more like freight train fast. I can consistently sail with more canvas than just about anybody out there and still maintain 12" of freeboard. I think they are fast. 20 kn breeze and I can put a Pabst Blue Ribbon on the cabin top and only wish that it would spill. LW
Lewis Whitesell

Postby Samuel Thayer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:44 pm

I've never changed the sail shape or the boom design/height, but I have lost two overboard poles (attached to the inside of the backstay) to incidental jibes! I'm adding a Dutchmen flaking system to the main, too. samthayer@msn.com
Samuel Thayer

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:50 pm

There's a nice little stainless steel bracket that attaches around the stay that the pole can clip into that will bold it on the outside of the stay. You have to get longer screws so it will fit our 3/8" stays.
- Steve
warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:30 pm

Brian

Postby Adrian » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:02 pm

Brian, I will respond to you via email with some pics and measurements - probably Sunday night. I do not have internet access at home (Silent Partner) and my lady likes to stay onboard with me over the weekends. I'll come back here Sunday night and send you the info you asked for. BTW - Silent Partner is a 38 MKII built in Feb. 1980 so our measurements should be about the same for a baseline. Adrian adrian@leeslabs.com
Adrian

Postby Adrian » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:08 pm

Lewis - you are absolutely correct. "Freight Train Fast" is the best analogy I have heard yet. It does feel good to move along at hull speed and be comfortable at the same time. All my old sailing frinds asked me why I bought an HC when I raced so much most of my life and I told them that I wanted to be comfortable at this stage of my life. If I heard a sail luffing, I wanted to be able to look out from under the bimini - being careful not to spill my drink - and decide that the wind would shift soon and there was not need of doing all that work anymore - and yes I do still have the urges to go faster than the other guys, just not as much as I used to. adrian@leeslabs.com
Adrian

Previous

Return to Archive - Original Message Board