[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Cabin Heaters

Cabin Heaters

This is the very first HCOA message board. The messages were converted but may contain some booboos. But there are over 9000 messages of info to look through.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Re: Cabin Heaters

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:53 am

Ah, now I think I know what they are...
Thanks, Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Gary Akin » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:35 am

They are very safe knock one over and it shuts off immediately. hc38t@msn.com
Gary Akin

Postby Rick Whiting » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:01 am

I have installed a Sigmar floor model with the water coil (yet to be hooked up) The heater works great: burns about a gallon a day, I took out the
chart table and refinished the teak celing put a stainless checker plate against the bulkhead with ceramic insulation behind the plate and around the stovepipe through the coach roof cavity.I have taken pictures but not developed yet, The fuel tank is a gravity day tank that I installed in the aft hanging locker about a 1.25 gallon, I fill it once a day with a pulse pump wired on its own circuit switch.This works great in BC waters. rwhiting@north.sd41.bc.ca
Rick Whiting

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:01 am

That's very nice to know. I've been using the Ceramic Discs from Pelonus/DelRain for years. The new computerized versions are crap as the controls go dead after about 12 months. Don't put a IC near heat or vibration (they did both). Though I've got two that are 10 years old and still going. One of the things I liked about them was the over temp. thermal protection and the tip over protection. Thanks, Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:06 am

Very cool. We want pictures! And tell more about ceramic insulation - is it flexible enough to wrap around the 3" pipe!? This sounds like a beautiful installation. What model HC? We considered shortening the starboard settee to place a floor standing furnace on the 33. The hot water heat exchanger cannot be used with the bulkhead mounts AFAIK... - Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Rick Whiting » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:33 am

I would'nt shorten the setee, its the only bunk long enough to sleep in for short naps. The chart nav station is too small for most and who wants to look at the wall, The insulation is fairly stiff but it can be worked . I also used a rope like insulaton tight against the pipe. I'll post picts when i get the film developed. rwhiting@north.sd41.bc.ca
Rick Whiting

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:35 am

I look forward to the pics. I finally agree that to shorten the settee is a mistake. Though I've always said: " A cruising sailboat should drink 6, eat 4 and sleep 2...
This is esp. true of the 33.
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Tom & Sue Friend » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:58 pm

For those that need it:
That rope-like insulation can be found at any store selling wood stoves for home use. It comes in various sizes and is used as a door gasket. SVMystique@centurytel.net
Tom & Sue Friend

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:17 pm

Thanks Tom, now I knowexactly what you're talking about!
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:38 pm

Check out Espar or Webasto. I installed an Espar unit in a friend's boat and he loves it. Forced air heat, with hot water as a side benefit. The heat is not localized to the placement of the heater. Little heat exchangers with fans are placed around the boat. Nice dry heat. The units were originally designed to warm diesel engines. I only wish I could afford one. :( Brian brian.bennett@sdccu.net
Brian

Previous

Return to Archive - Original Message Board