[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Self Steering Wind Vane

Self Steering Wind Vane

This is the very first HCOA message board. The messages were converted but may contain some booboos. But there are over 9000 messages of info to look through.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Self Steering Wind Vane

Postby Joe Millsaps » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:08 pm

Joe Millsaps

Re: Self Steering Wind Vane

Postby John Rutherford » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:23 pm

John Rutherford

Postby billritter » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:48 am

I have an Aries. It required no mods at all to the boat (43), and it works like a charm. Got me across the Atlantic a year ago almost without ever touching the helm. Bill weritter@msn.com
billritter

Postby Doug » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:24 am

The Cape Horn also seems to fit well with the HC33T stern. It is necessary to drill a hole through the stern below the backstay chainplate through which a heavy stainless steel tube fits to a quadrant below the helmsman's seat. All the lines in internal, none in the cockpit. It is a very sensitive system. darvid46@yahoo.com
Doug

Postby Damon and David » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:19 am

Doug, is it possible to get pictures of your setup? I've been considering a windvane, paying particular attnetion to the Cape Horn. I have a 33T and have had a hard time trying to figure out how it would look or be installed. If it's possible to get pictures, I would be very grateful. My email address is <A HREF="mailto:dsarin@yahoo.com">dsarin@yahoo.com</A>. Thanks,
Damon
dsarin@yahoo.com
Damon and David

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:34 am

Stephen Carstensen

Postby Samuel Thayer » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:32 pm

Samuel Thayer

Have Auto-Helm on HC34

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:08 pm

Chris

Postby Joe Millsaps » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:20 pm

I sounds like the monitor is the safe be if for no other reason than parts availability. It also sounds like a hell for stout system. millsaps@3di.com
Joe Millsaps

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:39 pm

It depends on what the situation is for Fleming support... Specifically that things that I like about the Flemings is that they used cast or forged stainless steel parts in places where the Monitor uses sheet metel stampings. This is just personal preference and may not be a significant factor. (This may have changed as I have not sailed with either for almost 10 years). Monitor DOES have a lot of double ender, and esp. HC experience it fitting up. Last I checked with them they could send me the precut support braces for my 33 based on their other installation experience... - Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Lewis Whitesell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:09 pm

And the Scanmar (Monitor) people are a very helpful bunch!
LW
Lewis Whitesell

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:16 am

I've found that to be very true!
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Scott Hughey » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 am

How is the support on the Cape Horn?From what I have read and some people I have talked to I thought the Cape Horn was a little more sensitive and able to steer in lighter air.The asthetics are better IMHO.What think ye!
Scott
Scott Hughey

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:22 pm

I've got no experience there, let's see if Douf or someone else has...
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Doug » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:49 am

Hello, Scott and Steve: I've had good experience with Yves, the Canadian who developed the Cape Horn, even speaking with him on the phone. His original boat, the one he sailed around the world alone using the prototype of the vane, was an Alberg 30. I've had some experience with this boat and like it a lot. The company responds quickly to emails and will send parts immediately. I did have a part get lost in the mail between Canada and Guam and he sent me another one (a SS strut). I can't compare this service with others having never owned another make vane. The vane itself is made of very heavy-duty stainless. The vane comes with its own quadrant that sits vertically above the quadrant in the HC33T. From this quadrant lines are attached to the boat quadrant via small blocks. It is all under the helmsman's seat and nothing comes into the cockpit. It is, I think, a good match for the 33's configuration. The guy who installed mine, a long-time boat boat builder/sailor, commented that it looked like the vane was designed with the 33 in mind. It seems very sensitive. It will pick up a lift when the wind gusts much better than I can. As far as comparing it to other vanes, I must admit to not being the best judge as I've only used this one. It does work better in winds 10 kts or above and going down wind in light air, the most difficult point of sail to steer, it does wander up to 10 or so degrees on either side of the heading. It only has the one vertical post on the stern (and two heavy stainless support struts that go from the top of this vertical post to the caprail behind the helm). This blends in with the backstay and chain plate, so the aesthetics are, I think, better than the oil-rig looking vanes. I was able to motor sail with it in 10-fifteen knots once when we were loaded for an extended cruise and had six of us on board (my wife and I were dropping the others off for a month-long stay at an uninhabited island). The propwash, though, will cause the paddle to kick out and I've read that vanes are not recommended for use when motor sailing by most vane makers. One other problem I encountered: The Cape Horn is easly steered by a low power, piston-type autohelm attached to the quadrant. This allows the water passing past the paddle to actually steer the boat once the autohelm deflects it a small amount. The first time I tried this, though, the nut on the quadrant broke off at the weld. It looked like it had been just tacked on. This is easily fixed, though. In any event, I'm still experimenting with it. It seems to work well for offshore work, is pretty sensitive, and comes into its own when the wind picks up. I haven't yet used it in heavy weather/big seas so can't comment on that. darvid46@yahoo.com
Doug

Return to Archive - Original Message Board