[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Painless galley fixture replacement in HC33T

Painless galley fixture replacement in HC33T

This is the very first HCOA message board. The messages were converted but may contain some booboos. But there are over 9000 messages of info to look through.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Painless galley fixture replacement in HC33T

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:04 am

I got the Galley faucet installed yesterday and I'm very happy with it. We choose to use a traditional 4" two-handle fixture in order to be able to fit it between the hand pumps (which we want to retain). As it turned out this installation required no modifications to the marble. The combined thickness of the marble is 1.25" and the specifications for the faucet was maximum counter thickness 1.125". I was thinking Of counter boring the plywood, but was able to avoid that be using some of the old hardware. The faucet came with nylon hand nuts to hold the faucet to the counter. The bronze ones that HC used were half as thick. Additionally the bronze compression nuts were shorter. All in all I ended up with just about two threads remaining, but it snugged up well and didn't leak from the first test. I was careful about cleaning up the copper pipe with fine wet and dry. I found new cone shaped washers at ACE hardware and used some silicon grease to slip them over the pipe. Now were going to go ahead with the vanity in the head and the shower. The vanity should be a piece of cake, but I always try to refrain from setting unrealistic expectation levels, you never know when some fitting may be frozen or whatever... The bathroom fixtures from Moen that we want to use have even less reach than the kitchen
Stephen Carstensen

Re: Painless galley fixture replacement in HC33T

Postby Mark Raine » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:28 am

Gosh Steve that looks great! Which model and make faucets did you get? We use a foot pump ow but I think I would liketo change over to hand pumps some day.
Mark svedelweiss@yahoo.com
Mark Raine

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:42 pm

Mark, I should have said in my last post that this project may not have been started without the help and encouragement of Ray Mayo, another HC33T owner that communicated with me via email and detailed photographs in order to get me started in an area I'm unfamiliar with (that's changing fast). We looked at Kohler, Price Pfister, Delta and Moen. Kohler did not have what we were looking for, Price Pfister does not offer brass finish and so these were immediately eliminated. Delta and Moen both offer a wide variety. IIRC Ray chose Delta. Barb was found of the Moen line and so we concentrated our search there. Our sinks are smaller than standard and so the choice must be made about where you want the faucet overhang to occur. Because the sinks are small most galley faucets will overhand past center (toward you) and bar fixtures will overhand short of center (toward the back of the sink). The fixture we choose is the Moen Monticello Bar faucet model # 5996P (the Traditional style #5992P would work equally well). This gave us a overhang about 1/2' less than the faucet that came with the boat. This is more than made up for by the fact that the faucet is tall enough to get pots and pans under. The other choice you have is whether or not you
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Ken W. » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:28 pm

I have a plumber friend who says Moen is the best. Well made, easy to fix and get parts for. Ken kc8pql@arrl.net
Ken W.

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:37 pm

Barbie chooses well... The boat, dinghy, car, plane, (me)...
- Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Mark Raine » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:52 pm

Do you think that the Fynspray pumps could be used with a foot pump in place as well so that you could use either. In other words with the fynspray in place could the foot pump push flow thru it?
Mark svedelweiss@yahoo.com
Mark Raine

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:04 pm

If the foor pump is a diagram pump with two flapper valves it can have water pumped through it (I know, this is not what you asked) OR pulled through it. I beleive that water could be pumped through the FinSpray (FynSpray?) as it has a ball check valve (at the bottom) and a flapper valve (at the end of the piston). Therefore of you were to put the foorpump in the same line between the source and the FinSpray, the FinSpray should be able to full water through it and the foot pump should be able to pump through the FinSpray. If you do it this way (in series) you avoid having to have a "Y" connector and additional check valves, the pump do that... - Steve
warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Postby Mark Raine » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:11 pm

Yes thanks that sounds great. svedelweiss@yahoo.com
Mark Raine

Postby Ken W. » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:12 pm

Steve's right. I have both a spare FinSpray and a Gusher foot pump here. When I blow into the intake on both pumps, the air comes out the spout with no restriction. Wish I'd thought of that. Drilling a spout hole in my stainless sink wasn't much fun. Ken kc8pql@arrl.net
Ken W.

Postby Stephen Carstensen » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:48 am

You both have caused me to carefully think this through... I'm glad I did, adding a foot pump has bee on the list of convenience items but I had never considered the possibility of sharing the single outlet... It's important to remember the diagram pumps with flapper valves work this way, it is a way to use other pumps as a backup. Some aircraft do this with a mechanical fuel pump backed up in series with an electric standby... Thanks, Steve warmrain@rockisland.com
Stephen Carstensen

Return to Archive - Original Message Board