[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Cats onboard

Cats onboard

This is the very first HCOA message board. The messages were converted but may contain some booboos. But there are over 9000 messages of info to look through.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Cats onboard

Postby Paul Guenette » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:40 pm

I have just moved aboard a 43' Christina. We are moored in Vancouver, BC. I am thinking about getting a cat and was wondering about any advice any of the members might have on this subject. Thank you in advance for your time. smilingjersey@hotmail.com
Paul Guenette

Re: Cats onboard

Postby billritter » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:04 pm

I saw on the news two weeks ago that there is a new breed of cat nowdays, derived from a Cheeta or some African cat, that actually has the personality of a dog, and is not in the least bit dangerous. The only problem is that they are quite dear--something to the tune of 5K USD in New York. Bill weritter@msn.com
billritter

Postby John Rutherford » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:11 pm

We have had up to two cats live with us when we were liveabords. My suggestion is to get short hair varieties. Siamese cats do especially well on boats. webmaster@hanchristian.org
John Rutherford

Postby Damon and David » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:46 pm

We have a Russian Blue, and though she was nine years old when we moved aboard, she has adapted so well. It's as if she was made for the boat. Ashley has short hair, and I have to agree with John, I would stick with short haired cats. Ashley loves to roam all over the boat, both inside and out. She is great about finding new places to investigate. As a matter of fact, I just finished working in the bilge of my 33T, and before I knew it she was up under the sole. Her favorite place to hang out is on top of the boom, just watching what's going on around the marina. We always keep an eye on her when she's outside, especially since she has learned to jump on the dock and can go roaming. She has always come back, but once she made it back to the wrong boat. Anyway, good luck on what ever you decide. Oh, there's some pictures of Ashley on the new message board. damon
dsarin@yahoo.com
Damon and David

Postby kathy and bud » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:02 am

This posting is "NOT" from Bud or Kathy. This posting is from all six of Bud and Kathy's cats. They all said to tell Bill, "Oh Please!!! We are a pawlllled. Why would you want any one of us to de-evolve and take on the personality of a DOOOOGGG.....; dogs, if they are lucky, 'may'....in their next life, if they are really purrrrfect, actually get to be one of us....a cat....:) Bud and Kathy's six cats..... seashor13@msn.com
kathy and bud

Postby Rob Schulte » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:51 pm

I have plump Maine Coon; she's very mellow and quite at home on the boat. Like most cats, she has her "place" on the boat and spends here time there when she's not eating or doing her business. She's great company and very warm and personable. My only advice is that if you choose not to declaw your cats (I am in that group) and you value your upolstry, ensure that you have a scratching device. I have noticed no problems on the wood with the cat's claws but she has taken a few plucks at my settee seats. We have since come to an understanding. Regards,
Rob Schulte
S/V Endurance
'84 HC 38 MII rschulte@goeaston.net
Rob Schulte

Postby Mark Armitage » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:45 pm

Rob, I also have a 38 MKII. Where do do keep the litter box? Are you full time live aboards? The main thing keeping my wife and I from making the transition to living aboard is our two cats. Mark
S/V Leslie C
cynmark@houston.rr.com
Mark Armitage

Postby Rob Schulte » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:54 pm

Mark: I keep the litter box mounted on a rack in the bilge. When the cat needs to go, she paws open the bilge pump doors and does her thing. I am very diligent about keeping her box clean and scoop daily. The box is of the covered variety. The litter stays where it is supposed to even on a heel. I am a semi-livaboard - usually about five days a week. The cat is full time. Rob S. rschulte@goeaston.net
Rob Schulte

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:13 pm

I have a litterbox in front of the head on my MKII. Head is in the bow. Never moves even in the roughest waters. smdettman@msn.com
Steve

Postby Damon and David » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:40 pm

We custom made our own litter box that sits at the bottom of the shower in our 33T. Easily pulls out when we need to take a shower, but secure enough to stay put. Damon
dsarin@yahoo.com
Damon and David

Postby Michelle » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:12 pm

Bill, I think you are talking about Bengal Cats. They are long and skinny, short haired and bred from domestic cats and a small Asian breed of wild cat. You can find pictures of them on the internet with their distinctive markings. Bud and Kathy's cats' letter is correct..they are NOT dogs! But I know what you mean because Mike and I have had Manxes over the years who took walks with us in the country without a leash. They were always just a little bit "wilder" than the average cat (don't get one into a serious arm-wrestle,) but had the same disdain for most human endeavor. They looked down their noses at us at times, like all cats. We left our beloved Calvin with friends on their farm when we sailed away, because he had grown up on 11 acres and was pretty restless on the boat. It sure wasn't an easy decision. At his new place, he proceeded to whip the farm dogs into shape and rid the place of rodents. Before that, we had installed bronze screens under all of the teak bilge gratings to keep cat (and teenage daughter) hair and blanket fuzz out of the bilge. We could vacuum or hose them off easily--they were a good addition. Other observations: Short hair is good. Brush often. Have a cat box with a lid on it if possible, you will clean it often because that IS the only choice. A house and a boat are better with a cat. Michelle
Michelle

Postby Chris s/v Cynara HC34 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:51 pm

We had a female Japanese Bobtail cat aboard for years. Very cool cats in my opinion. We kept the litter box outside on the side deck, and she would exit through the portlight we left open, in rain we brought it inside, but we don't get much rain in Southern California. We choose not to take her cruising when we left because she would get seasick, but she did many a trip to Catalina Is. Old wives-tale is if you hold the cat in your arms on its back, and does not try to turn over, or get away The cat will not be prone to seasickness. lonjers@us.ibm.com
Chris s/v Cynara HC34

Postby billritter » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:25 am

Hi Michelle and Kathy and Bud, Well, I see I've come up against some real cat lovers here. I must say, I am a cat lover too, but the inverse is not true. I met a cat that really liked me when I was 5 years old, but for the last 55 years every cat I have met has detested me, even though I feel I gave them every chance to be my friend. Calvin sounds like the cat my Schnauzer comes across every morning and night when we go strolling. The cat gets the better of him every time. Kathy and Bud--six cats on a boat???? Bill weritter@msn.com
billritter

Postby Scott Hughey » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:29 pm

I do not know a lot about cats but I thought if four people where in a room the cat would go over to the one who did not like cats.
Scott
Scott Hughey

Postby kathy and bud » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:23 pm

Bill: We no longer live aboard. When we did, we had a small dog for two years. She had belonged to a relative who passed away. She was old when we took her on board, and she lasted two years. She was great! Great sailor too! Over the thirty plus years we have been married, we have owned 10 cats, and at least four dogs, including a great dane. They were all a large part of our lives and we miss each and every one of them. For living on board, simply because of the need to get a dog on shore when ever possible, we prefer a short hair cat. One of the six we now have at our home would be perfect on the boat; he loves to ride in the car and lays up on the dash. Cats 'and' dogs are a great addition to an already wonderful experience when living on board.....Kathy and Bud Amspacher/Kachina seashor13@msn.com
kathy and bud

Return to Archive - Original Message Board