Refit time- deck rebuild

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Refit time- deck rebuild

Postby svmystique » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 am

OK, it's been an inordinate amount of time since I last posted here. Much thanks to our web master Brian for helping me get back on... Dude, your web mojo is superb- exceeded only by your wine making skills.

So I have been heavily involved in my career (lots of time in airports) and nowI have two teenagers. (Dad, the boat sucks- there's no wifi- can you fix that?)

So with all that going on, and college rapidly approaching, Sue and I decided to sell our beloved Mystique. However, nobody had the boldness (or financial suicide) to take on a deck rebuild. So I am doing this, prior to the sale. Below are the details of our complete deck rebuild. Before I post the pics, let me begin by saying that I do not know where this is going. The project is not complete. These pics are being posted as it happens, although I have several months of work to catch up on first.

I should start with some pictures of the original deck, but I won't. It is too ugly. While the HC 43 brochure tell us that the decks are made up of small pieces of plywood to keep rot from spreading, we who have rebuild them know this is nonsense. The original decks as they came from the King Dragon yard used small cut up scraps of plywood because it was a great way to get rid of scrap materials. The deck coring on these boats was just 3 inch squares of 12mm ply, with no epoxy separating them. So here is what the replacement looks like now- a foam cored deck. The yard must have removed 500+ pounds of rotten plywood core, and about that much more teak decking.
(pictures coming after I debug my web server problems)
svmystique
Crew

Re: Refit time- deck rebuild

Postby svmystique » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm

So here is the best photo I have of the "before". This is the underside of a section of foredeck that had been cut off to help determine the level of rot. As you can see, there is nothing but small squares of cheap plywood used as core.

Every horizontal panel of decking was rotten except for one in the cockpit. So all the wood coring was uncovered, dug out, scrubbed clean, and then replaced with foam core. Here's the cockpit.
Yep, side decks got the treatment too.
Foredeck, showing each layer in the process. At the top is the first coat of glass over the foam core.
The chainplates were also removed for inspection, and these were in flawless shape. These are photos of both sides.
Several mold design flaws were fixed at the same time. This is the scupper hole that has now been ground down to deck level. The deck holes for the forward-most chainplates on the main mast had no risers, so those were added to help reduce water leaks.
svmystique
Crew

Postby scleary » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am

Sorry you are having to undertake such a huge project, but thanks for the great photos. Are you going to non-skid or redo teak without fasteners?
scleary
Crew

Postby svmystique » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 am

It's a task I should have done years ago. Too bad I won't get to enjoy the results myself...

I've been looking at the replacement surface for many years now- it will be FlexiTeak. http://www.flexiteak.com Looks great, and my informal tests for 7+ years have left me very impressed. Light weight, zero maintenance.
svmystique
Crew

Postby svmystique » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Well, I found that the bowsprit was going bad, so I'm replacing that too. Begin with a photo of the old sprit (in our very cluttered garage).
The new bowsprit is made of laminated Sapele, which I hand-picked for straight tight grain. This is the fifth and final layer being epoxied down.
Then some additional rough shaping is done with a bandsaw.
After that, more spaing is done with a Sawzall, Skill saw and belt sander.
svmystique
Crew

Postby svmystique » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Since the winches had to come off the boat for painting, it seemed like a good time to tear them down, doing any needed repairs. This is what one of the bigger ones looked like as I took it apart. This is a Barient 32.
And here's what the parts look like after a clean-up. The cleaning involves wire brushes, diesel, WD-40, Liquid Wrench and a liberal dose of elbow grease. Reassembly takes 30 weight motor oil for the pawl wheels, and Lewmar winch grease everywhere else.
svmystique
Crew

Postby svmystique » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:23 am

Here's a few more progress shots of the bowsprit project. First, the old and new in a side by side shot. Good thing you can't see the far side of the old 'sprit, because there were mushrooms growing out of the wood. Yuck.
Then a close-up of the windlass mount all machined and ready for the Lofrans Tigres to be re-attached.
svmystique
Crew

Postby mimoza » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 am

So the mushrooms were on the north side of the sprit? ;)

Nice replacement.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby svmystique » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Yes they were, actually. I hadn't even thought of it that way, Brian.
svmystique
Crew

Postby svmystique » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm

She is finally going back together!! After several retries at painting the house/deck, my very picky painters are satisfied and ready to move on with the new deck surface install work. The chainplates are back in, and it is looking very promising.
svmystique
Crew

Postby chrisray12 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Wow, that flexiteak looks really really good. Looks great and keep up the good work!
chrisray12
Crew

Postby svmystique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks. It is such a different look for Mystique, since her cabin roof had always been glass with only two tiny patches of teak. With some rigging changes up forward, the changes will be very welcome to all who have ever crewed on her.
svmystique
Crew

Postby scleary » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 am

Tom,

It looks absolutely spectacular! I'm not sure I'd be able to sell after getting the boat exactly the way I wanted it (if I recall you were refitting in order to sell it). How much of this work are you doing yourself and how much are you contracting out? Is the work being done at a yard or do you have your own facility? These big refits always fascinate/inspire me. There was a great website for Pacific Pearl back when Paul was refitting his 48.

Thanks for sharing the pics/progress.

Steve
scleary
Crew

Postby svmystique » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Steve. I'm doing a minimal amount of the work. I built the new 'sprit, rebuilt the winches, all the varnishing, little stuff like that. There is a yard who is doing the real work. Sea Marine in Port Townsend is doing the deck repairs and paint, and the boat is in their sheds. Yes, I am selling her- our kids still want to go to college and that is the driving factor. BTW, anyone interested in her can contact Sea Marine, since they are also the broker right now.
svmystique
Crew

Postby scleary » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Tom,

Did your boat sell? I don't see it listed on the Sea Marine listings and I was hoping to see pictures of the completed work. The progress shots looked amazing. Did your boat have the big bronze hatch forward? I'm wondering if they rebedded it during the process? I'm doing mine, and replacing lenses.

Thanks!
Steve
scleary
Crew

Next

Return to HC43