Traveler control line routing-cutter

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Traveler control line routing-cutter

Postby scleary » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:48 am

Hello 43T owners (or prior owners),

I have had my 43T for 2 years, she is sitting in my back yard undergoing various projects. She came with a traveler, but just a car with pin stops, no control lines, no purchase. I acquired a Garhauer Marine traveler with a double car setup and cam cleats at each end (4:1). Since I'm the 2nd owner of this boat, I'm sure there were never lines led to the cockpit for control. I'm looking for info on how folks have led the control lines effectively to the cockpit. Pictures would be even better.

I'm guessing I have 2 options, port and starboard control lines led on each side to cam cleats with a fair run to the winches on each side of the cabin top...or both port and starboard led to one side. I'm looking for details of blocks used, where they are mounted (if I can attach to the bronze bridge, I'd like to avoid cutting the ceiling to install backing plates).

I'd appreciate any input from folks with either setup. I searched the entire board, saw a few posts about a preference for 6:1, but no details on control line routing specifically for a cutter.

Thanks,
Steve
scleary
Crew

Re: Traveler control line routing-cutter

Postby chrisray12 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 am

Steve,

Here is my setup that I rebuilt this year. We have a 5:1 mainsheet system that leads to the fiddle block on our Harken Traveler System. The traveler is a 6:1 with control lines port and starboard back to the cockpit. The lines are set with a clam cleat on both port and starboard. Here are a few photos for visual reference as requested. If the clam cleats are on the garhauer traveler, the only problem I see would be the implementation of a dodger if needed. If no dodger, no problem! Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisray12
Crew

Postby scleary » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks!

That is exactly what I was looking for. I do have a dodger, but I plan to pull the cam cleats off the traveler and do something similar to what you have done with yours somewhere in the cockpit. With my 4:1, I will want them led fair to the port and starboard winches in case I need 'more pull'.

I appreciate the pictures, very helpful. I got such a great deal on the traveler, I couldn't pass it up..else I would have opted for a 6:1 based on the other posts on the board.

Thanks again,
Steve
scleary
Crew

Postby chrisray12 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm

No problem! Anytime. Post pictures when complete.
chrisray12
Crew

Return to HC43