[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - About to buy

About to buy

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

About to buy

Postby pinayreefer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:28 am

I've just registered for this site, though I should have come here before I put down money on a 1989 HC 43 Telstar!
I've read some of the topics but wondered if there is much activity of late here, and thought some of you might have some insight/things I should look for during the inspection/survey that I coming up right after New Years?
The chainplates have been replaced, and on another thread I saw where to look for rot around the bowsprit. The teak decks were removed and a fiberglass layer with antiskid was put into place.
Anything else unique to HC's that I should be thinking about? The boats have a great reputation amongst cruising sailors, and we've looked at the boat and really like it's look (it's was a "fantasy boat" when I read about it in Cruising World in the 80's!)
I look forward to hearing from anyone here who would like to add anything. Thanks for letting me be a member of the community!
pinayreefer
Landlubber

Re: About to buy

Postby jonneely » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Sounds like the PO's have done a good job on retrofitting the boat to make her easier to maintain. HC's are like any other boat when it come to systems so your survey should provide you with what you need to know before you write the check. I don't have any first hand experience with the 43 but we have been impressed by the HC build from day one. One thing I wished I did before we bought Prism was to top all the tanks off to check for leaks. If I had done this I would have found that the diesel tank has a leak at the very top. another bargaining chip. Something I believe the owners where aware of also. Its a simple test and cheap (you want full tanks anyways) if you get to the very end of the negotiations. One more thing, I am not sure how the 43 compression post is set up but just a good rule, check out how it is bedded on both ends and look from deck droop. the HC33 has a teak beam for a compression post and I know the 38's has a metal one. Make sure the wood that is in-between the the post/deck/floor/keel is in good shape.

Cheers,

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Return to HC43