43t in Seattle

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

43t in Seattle

Postby pcstorme » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:07 pm

My wife and I are interested in a 43t in Seattle that's been on the market for quite a while. We love the 43 and this one could be in our price range, but needs lots of updating. I'm a little concerned that there has been some weird modifications over the years. The big one is that the head was moved from the bow to the aft starboard berth. I can see the benefit to the location, but it looks in the pictures like it was done is a way that makes the sink not very accessible and makes the berth unusable as a sleeping area. Another odd thing is that the helm is positioned all the way forward in the cockpit. I haven't seen this on any others, so I'm not sure if this was original, or a mod later on. Apparently, this boat "Zia" had a pilot house built at one time that has since been removed. There also seems to be something weird going on with the area that should have the hanging locker across from the pullman berth and a raised sole in that area with some crappy flooring material. Sounds like the original sole is still underneath, so that could be an easy fix. She also has a diesel stove/oven. I would plan to install a propane.

Not sure exactly what my question is...Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this boat or can offer any advice. I've kind of figured out how much I would need to put into the boat to get her up to snuff based on what I know already. Who knows what else might come up though.

Thanks,

Storme
pcstorme
Landlubber

Re: 43t in Seattle

Postby chrisray12 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:34 am

Ah the Franken-hans! This boat has been on the market for several years. The wife and I looked at it back in late 2013 and the owner wanted $110,000!. From the outside the boat is beautiful. Everything's looks to be in great shape and well cared for. I agree it was a little weird that the helm was pushed forward but it looked as though it has been that way since factory. The problem starts once you go below... Very much a problem. What it looks like to me is that someone wanted a mkii layout and did everything wrong to get it. They yanked out the forward head and v-berth and made huge Pullman that almost qualifies as king size. Being that the mast sits forward 12-14" on a standard 43t, the remaining area forward can really only be used as a giant sail locker and storage. The aft head like we have on a mkii is not a problem but it is extremely small and not really a great place to shower unless you are no taller than 5'5". But the way they made the head was shoddy and it needs to be torn apart and redone completely. Other things I remember was they used standard plated finishing nails on a lot of the woodwork which made it a problem after varnishing. The nails rusted and now you have beautiful rust stains under the varnish. The cabin sole is gone forward of the compression post as I think they were trying to raise the floor ( if I remember correctly the guys wife was having a hard time getting into the bed). Other items i am trying to remember... They refer was dead, only had a main and staysail, electronics were dead and/or non existent, motor started and ran well but had a very smokey exhast (probably injectors)...

Here is my 2 cents, its been on the market for a long long time. If you have not looked at it already, I highly encourage you to do so. You will see that the interior layout needs to be... Reworked. I'm not gonna lie, the wife and I had to go out for a beer after we looked at her because I was so bummed with what they did to a perfectly good boat interior. BUT.. If this is something you can handle easily and enjoy, go for it. My personal opinion, to make it worth your time, I would lowball ... very very very low. It can't hurt and the owner is tired of paying high dock fees at Shilshoal. If they accept, get a good survey and breakout the woodworking tools! If not, that boat will sit for another few years until they finally wise up and sell it for even less.

Hope that helps!
chrisray12
Crew

Postby jungesail » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:03 pm

There is a 1978 Hans Christian 43 Ketch hitting the market Monday. "Nueva Vida" is a proven ocean going vessel - circumnavigation in fact. She is beautiful and equipped for extended bare bones cruising.

Give me a call 410 268 4100 or send me an email (chris@sailyard.com) and can get you a preliminary spec sheet and photos.
jungesail
Landlubber

Postby pcstorme » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks chrisray12...Sounds like she's actually under contract at the moment. It will be interesting to see if she sells. Yeah, I kept looking at the pictures and trying to figure out what they had done to her and your assessment makes sense. I think it would have been more of a project than we wanted anyway.

Did you end up with a different HC?
pcstorme
Landlubber

Postby chrisray12 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:01 pm

pcstorme, We purchased a 1987 HC 43 Mkii #111. Best decision we ever made. Our plan was to push off this summer and head south for warmer waters but like all things boat, we are delayed another year. Let me know if you have any other questions.
chrisray12
Crew

Postby mimoza » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:53 pm

There's a new posting in the Buy Sell Trade section of the Forums. 43t over in Kingston. She's well found and has many upgrades including recent repower.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby jeanann » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 am

Wow - this boat has sold!! (Just glad not to me). I couldn't imagine the amount of work/money it would take to get back to a nice condition. The 43 in Kingston looks nice, but not worth the $165k they're currently asking. I imagine we'll see a price reduction before the boat sells. Just my $0.02.
jeanann
Landlubber

Return to HC43