[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Companionway steps - HC43T

Companionway steps - HC43T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Companionway steps - HC43T

Postby daves » Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 pm

this might be tricky to explain without pictures but i'll try...

i need to move the companionway stairs forward. Boat is an 1982 HC43T.

The steps are currently hinged at the base, nicley set up so they lay flat on the cabin sole when in the down position. When in place they rest against and are secured to the top 10" or so of the side planks that incorporate the top step. Where they rest together the side planks are cut in a lovely S-curve so they sit together really nicely.

This top section containing the top step is screwed through into packing pieces and the side walls in 4 places on each side. In addition there are bronze brackets screwed into the inside of the bridgedeck at the top orf the stairs.

The base is hinged on a bar running through the two side walls and supported by circular teak blocks approx 4" above the cabin sole.

The quality of the woodwork is very high and i suspect the arrangement is original, but there is the possibility that it is a modification done by the previous owner and there are some modifications to other woodwork on the boat that are also of a very hight standard.

and so to my problem, question:
i have removed the screws holding the top step, and the bronze brackets. but i cannot get the top step out.
does the set up as ive explained it sound original? does anyone else have the same?
and if it is, has anyone any idea whether there are additional fixings in the top step that i havent found yet?

so you know, the reason i neeed to move the steps is that the new generator installation requires about 55mm more space. the plan is to move the whole steps assembly further forward by blocking out aft of the top step and shifting the hinge bar forward.

i look forward to hearing any experience you have of such mods or knowledge oabout the construction of the steps. of course if the current arrangement isnt original, its anyone's guess how it has been done.

regards
Dave

PS i have posted this in the woodwork section but copied it here as i suspect the HC43 board gets more views.
Now the new and proud owner of a '82 HC43T
daves
Landlubber

Re: Companionway steps - HC43T

Postby RABL » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:39 am

Your design is definitely different from mine. I had to reattach the mounting board at the top of the companionway which had come off due to damage from a water leak in / near the companionway. My mounting board was glued/screwed to a combination of wood/glass surface (but the surface was somewhat sporadic in that it did not provide a solid mounting surface covering the entire width/breadth for the mounting board - not what I would expect due to the lack of surface area for support). There is no lovely S-curve and I don't know what you refer to by that. The mounting board was not attached to any "packing pieces" nor was it in any manner affixed to the side walls.

The steps at the top are cut to fit flush and lay flat against the cabin sole as you indicate.

I have no idea of what "bar" you refer to as I have none. Nor do I have circular teak blocks on or near the cabin sole.

It sounds like your prior owner made significant modifications for load bearing support.

In order to "fix" my problem, I had to build up the mounting surface area for the face mounting board and then epoxy glue and wood screw it to this surface area to attain a strong enough attachment to support the proper load. I would have preferred to cut a new mounting board (mine had cracked), but needing access, I reattached the original which fortunately is hidden behind the steps from public view.

I have had no problems in 3+ years of use. The current support is superior to the original

I hope this is of some help.

RABL
RABL
Landlubber

Return to HC43