[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Where are all the 48 owners out there?

Where are all the 48 owners out there?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Where are all the 48 owners out there?

Postby scleary » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:43 pm

Seems it's just me and Ron from Goodnight Moon. I'd like to see some more 48 owners on the board for mechanical specifics, etc. If any of you other HC owners come across 48's in your travels, tell them about the board and let them know we could use some additional experiences!

Happy Sailing,

Steve
scleary
Crew

HC 48

Postby ballymack » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:04 am

ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby deepdiving01 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:14 pm

deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby scleary » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:58 pm

scleary
Crew

Postby deepdiving01 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 pm

deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Steering on 48

Postby ballymack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:52 pm

ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby scleary » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:37 pm

scleary
Crew

Postby deepdiving01 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:23 pm

deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby elmuerte » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:27 am

Hello,
Just bought a 48T in Honolulu, Kartella II, last March. Would be interested in discussing teak deck care, sail plans, and bow thrusters with anyone.
Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Postby deepdiving01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:04 pm

here are some pics of our bow thruster we installed on our 48 T in California Marina del Rey

Ron Simmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby elmuerte » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:03 am

Ron, thanks for the photo.
Which brand did you put in?
Is it retractable?
Do you have any photos of the hull from the outside?
Is it in the forward berth aft of the chain locker?
How well does it work?
Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Postby steven_cleary » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:44 am

Jeff,

Sorry for the long delay, i've been so busy lately. In any case, I have a thruster on mine as well. I think Ron's is a better install as it's further forward in the hull and gives more leverage. Mine is a bit further back. I have a wesmar, it was a 5hp 12V which was all but useless because of the location and the fact that the batteries are under the aft bunk and the cable running forward was undersized for the load. I installed a custom 24v motor on the unit and it's much better. It is not retractable (neither is Ron's).

If you're planning to install a unit, I would do a 15hp.

In terms of sail plan, I have a cutter rig, 150% genoa, 90%jib/staysail, and a full batten main with 2 reef points. I have two harken MK2 furlers and the main has a harken track/car system. Let me know what kind of details you're looking for. I've done lots of projects with lots more to do.
Thanks,

Steve Cleary
1998 HC 48T
Hull #26
steven_cleary
Crew

Postby elmuerte » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:22 am

Steve,
Thanks for the info.
I also have a cutter rig with Profurl furlers for the jib and staysail and a mast furl. My jib was suppplied by the previous owner and is 2 yrs old. Unfortunatley, it is cut more like a storm sail and is not even 100%. Do you have the measurements for your genoa?
I am also working on renewing the teak deck. Any hints on cleaning would be appreciates. I think it has worn down a lot as there is no longer much of a groove in most places for the caulking.
I just rewired the engine and instrument panel, quite a job as there seemed to be 2 1/2 wiring harnesses with a lot of splices and cut ends.
My engine appears to be a Yanmar 4 cylinder PHME. Am trying to get a hold of a heat exchange rebuild kit. Local sources have not been too helpful.
Thanks again,
Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Sails and thruster

Postby deepdiving01 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:46 pm

:D Hi Jeff and Steve:

The bow thruster on Goodnight Moon does not pivot as Steve mentioned. The tunnel runs right through as you can see in the picture. Works great but one thing that is all important is keeping the props and tunnel cleaned off sea life build up... I had to just let my bottom cleaner go as he just didn't want to take the time as it is time consuming.... but benefits of being able to pivot these beasts on their keep while docking really is great.
My jib and staysail are both furled. Harken furler on the head sail and Shafaer on the staysail. Like steve my main is full batten with a couple of reef points.
Looks like most all larger sailing yachts today are being built with bow thrusters. Almost a must for those of us that just cannot perfect that reverse prop walk.
The unit is a SidePower, and In early mention I stated it was a 8hp...actually i was mistaken it is a 18hp with a 10" tunnel... total price of unit and installation complete was just at $11k. was a pretty nasty bite in the wallet but was well worth it. I was the guy trying to figure how to build a hard dodger for my 48. I finally just bit and installed a new aluminum frame soft dodger ... company Tropical Canvas in Long Beach did the work... reall excellent job for $1,300 this included a new cover for the butterfly forward hatch..... owner is Joe Vargas....

Candace and I have been actively running a charter dinner cruise business from our boat in Marina del rey, and it is paying for slip fees... next step is to retire and head for Hawaii.... I think we'll take along two other knowledgable sailors to make the trip enjoyable.

regards

Ron Simmer
rsimmer@riteaid.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby elmuerte » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:36 am

Ron,

Give me a ring when you get out here. Hawaii has been great. I ahve thought about running a dinner sunset cruise myself, any helpful hints?

Did you add the instruments tot eh top of your cabin, or did it come that way. i have been trying to figure out where to place a slave instrument panel as all mine are behind the steps into the cabin.

Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Next

Return to HC48