[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Where are all the 48 owners out there?

Where are all the 48 owners out there?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby steven_cleary » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Jeff,

I will take some measurements once the sails come out for the season, at the moment it's 19f outside :(

The world makes more sense knowing that Ron's thruster is actually 18hp and not 8. I figured his install was better, but couldn't imagine a few feet forward would make such a huge difference. So, you may want to take my suggestion for 15hp up a bit.

In terms of your instruments, I would highly recommend a navpod (or similar) at the helm. I have a set of instruments mounted at the top of the companionway like Ron, but I find when I'm sailing with others aboard they are always in the way, between me and the instruments. I have a chartplotter and radar (repeater) at the helm and I'm about to add a repeater that will get me any of the instruments displayed at the helm...it will cycle through wind speed/depth/boat speed and rudder position, along with many other NEMA sentences, at the touch of a button.

For your teak, you'll find as many opinions as there are people with teak. The best kept i've seen is on a friends Swan 53. This guy is EXTREMELY anal and takes amazing care of his stuff. He uses a two part teak cleaner, and a product called "semco" if I'm not mistaken. I see lots of decks, including my own, and none look nearly as good as his. They stay a rich golden brown color with just a very small amount of maintenance. If I remember correctly, he does a cleaning in the spring and two coats of semco, and then if necessary he does another coat during the season. I intend to try this approach this year. From everything else i've read the trick is not to use abrasive pads, etc to clean...just soft bristle brushes. Warmrain has posted some informative pics of what the teak ends up looking like if abrasives are used. He's also had direct experience for 20+ years on his HC, there is some good info in the 33 area of the board.

I have the Yanmar 4HJTE 100hp Turbo. It's a great engine, but I could use a bit more power in serious seas. It could be partially a function of my prop, Max prop, that may not be adjusted properly (prior owner installed/adjusted). Next haul out, I'm going to have a look. RPM's aren't right.

I'll be in Hawaii for vacation (Maui) in March. Which island are you on?
Thanks,

Steve Cleary
1998 HC 48T
Hull #26
steven_cleary
Crew

Postby elmuerte » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:34 am

I'm on Oahu, so if you get over here, let me know.

Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Postby deepdiving01 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi guys..... I dream of Hawaii all the time and Candace dreams twice as much as I do.
I need to do some of the instrument mounting on the helm also. I only have my compass along with my bow thruster controls. Probably good projects for later this year. I just installed a new dodger, built a crane hoist, installed a new fuel distibution center with double racor mainfold, new water heater (original one in the stairway-crappy location) leaked. I installed new 12 gallon water heater under seat forward satee. The previous owner had a washer dryer unit installed in the double hangin locker just aft of the nav station. I pulled out the washer dryer and installed a nice fridge freezer. I have a few projects I have to get on and build our charter biz a little. I am doing some big boat "team building" sailing classes starting this weekend. Kind of a cool nitch.
Interested in how much slip fees are in Hawaii... can you give me an idea.. anyone you would recommend I contact. Where you are is exactly where Candace and I want to sail to.
cheers
Ron
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby elmuerte » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:09 am

There are several marinas on Oahu. I am currently at Ko'olina which is private and the most expensive. For my boat, its almost $900 a month for non live aboards. The state run harbor at Awa Wai Marina is much less expensive at $4 a foot a month, but the slip list has not moved in 3 years since they condemned 2 docks and don't have the funds to rebuild. Waikiki Yacht Club has dockage, but I do not know their charges. You have to be a member with 2 referrals. The other marinas do not hacve slips that are big enough. There is one stae run harbor that has moorings, but you would then need a dinghy to get to and from shore. This is near the airport and is called Keehi Lagoon. You might be able to find the state run harbors on a web site. Try Dept of Land and Natural Resouces in Hawaii. Hope this helps.
Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

Hawaii

Postby deepdiving01 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:24 pm

Good information..... Sounds like slips and availability are much the same as southern California. I pay $825 a month for a slip in Marina del Rey. Wondering what availablity is where you are at? Price isn't too far off from what we are paying. Problem is I am going to have to figure a way to sublet my slip out when we head for Hawaii in about a year and a half. The mooring is ok, but I know my wife will really be looking for a slip. for me it isn't that big of a deal.... I will follow up with the link you provided. Are you living there full time? You said you purchased your boat there. What is her name? Do you know which hull number she is?
I just received my captains license and going after my 10Ton and all education I can before setting sail. We'll probably be sailing there with a couple of buddies to make the trip less stressfull.

Regards
Ron
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby elmuerte » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:41 am

Been busy, sorry I haven't replied.
Name of the boat is Katella II, will check on the hull number
Yes, live here full time.

Do you have a furled main?

Jeff
elmuerte
Landlubber

SV Pacific Pearl

Postby sv pacific pearl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 am

Hello All,

I purchased a ketch H48 T in Singapore October last year (2007) - SV Pacific Pearl. I am currently getting all the Oz cut out of her bottom. A big job. I have heaps of work to do. From the photos I have seen of all the other boats on this site, I have a very long way to go.

Cheers

Paul
sv pacific pearl
Crew

back at you Jeff....

Postby deepdiving01 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm

sorry took a couple of weeks to get this...
no Goodnight Moon doesn't have a furled main... we installed a UK lazy cradle as we have full battened main and couldn't afford the boom furler needed to maintain the full batten set up... the lazy cradle works well... Candace and I finally got the slugs all lubed up and with a quick release and heading directly into the wind the full monster main drops like a lead balloon into the cradle... very easy... then just a quick 2 min zip up when back at the slip... we do have roller furling on the jib and staysail.... our staysail is not club footed and not self tending.... I got rid of that as I got tired of walking around the staysail boom...
if you have some pics of Katella II would love to see her....

so tell me about slips in Hawaii... any insight...looking at another 2 years

take care

Candy and Ron
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

helpful info if needed

Postby hogwallop » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:23 pm

We're the former owners of the S/V Annapurna HC48 T. We circumnavigated between 1996 and 2007. We know 48 T's quite well. Any owners need some info on most anything, drop us a line.

Buddy
hogwallop
Landlubber

Re: helpful info if needed

Postby jabiru » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:08 am

jabiru
Landlubber

Re: helpful info if needed

Postby jabiru » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 am

jabiru
Landlubber

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:05 pm

sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Postby clonjers » Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 pm

replying to a post higher up. I too have used the teak product Semco, it is really good. do not get it on the rubber sealant between the deck boards, unless you want the rubber to turn a funny color.
clonjers
First Mate

Previous

Return to HC48