[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Access Chainplates

Access Chainplates

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Access Chainplates

Postby ballymack » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 am

Hi - We are looking at stress points on the boat for an offshore voyage and curious if there is any easy way to inspect the chainplates. It appears we have to remove the wood from inside the cabin cupboards and possibly cut out the glass to access them. Is there some access point we are missing or any easier way?

Many thanks.

MC
ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Hello MC,

we are doing exactly the same thing with our boat.

I am no expert but what I have found so far is that the the panelling inside the cupboard is leads up to the t-section track that we run the movable blocks for sheeting the the headsail sheets aft. I also need to replace all of these tracks and bolts.

Unfortunately our boat is a ketch therefore has more chainplates.

I am planning on working out where the other plates are and cutting out the headlined panel accordingly. Its a bit of a bummer as I have only refurbished the roof 18mths ago. My fault. I should have thought about this.

Anyway, lets talk about what we find as we do this.
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Postby deepdiving01 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Capt Ron
deepdiving01
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:11 am

MC

How did you get on with your chainplates?

I am still faffing around and looking at mine.

Did you remove yours, If so, how did you get them out?

Cheers

Paul
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Chainplate access

Postby ballymack » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 am

Hi Capt Ron - I never did solve this problem. My understanding from a rigger up here is the amount of rain we get in British Columbia helps. Freshwater being a good thing I guess. We are planning on sailing the Vic-Maui next summer, and the chainplates are an area of concern. However, I would have to cut them completely out of the boat to get a good look at them, and all rig inspections have not highlighted any issues there. Good luck on your end. I don't know enough about the history here to tell if you should be worried or very worried :).

Mike
ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Mc

Just got back in. Not good.

I just cut my first plate out it and it was ss welded to ms

Corrosion not good on both side

The transverse ms stringers need to be cut out. The lay up underneath not strong at all. The strongest part is the bit we peeled back and layed up two years ago.

Not sure what to do

The boat seems rotten
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Chainplate access

Postby ballymack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Capt Ron - That is disturbing. What year is your boat? Mine is a 1990. They seem to have vast differences in the boats over the years given all the different builders.

When I first bought the boat (2004), I discovered massive water problems on the deck cores, but since then it has been just the usual stuff (knock on wood).
ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 am

She is 1986 build launched in 87 from the Hansa yard.

It is not as bad as I initally thought, I am just a little dissapointed I am about to rebuild the inside of the hull after I spent heaps on rebuiding the outside.

Rebuild a lot of the inside of the hull wasn't on my pre Tahiti jobs to do checklist.

the other diassapointing thing is that the work I will do on the inside will undo a heap of stuff we have recently done. But I have already bleated about this previously ...

Before I get all doughy about the boat again though, I have got to tell you though, some of the lay up internally is not pretty

Who lays up MS inside a DRP boat and then weld these to SS anyway?

Footings for the masts are in Gal over MS also. They are starting to corrode in places that has been hidden for quite a while.

Up until 2004, the compression post for the main mast was the fwd main saloon bulkhead, this eventually caved in and was replaced with a Aluminium Compression post.

While I am onto it, the prop shaft needs more support also. Its has a wobble that needs attention again.

Some boats might be well built and are solid. Mine has a way to go.

I will get there though...I hope.
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Chainplate access

Postby ballymack » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:37 am

Hi Paul - We have spent a fair amount of time thinking about a solution to the chainplate problem and have decided to engineer new chainplates that will be thu bolted from the outside of the coaming and hull into the boat through the existing chainplates. We'll router out the wood, so the new chainplates are against glass. We'll then drill through the coaming and the existing chainplates, and we will also run the new chainplates down to the main hull and thru bolt into the cabin. This will avoid tearing apart the interior of the cabin and the chain plates are only going to move about 1/2 inch or so out, so I can use all my (new) standing rigging. I expect this project to be completed by the end of the year, and I will let you know how it goes and can send pictures if it helps.

Hope your project is proving okay. Have not noticed any wobble in the shaft, and the mast step seems okay (knock on wood for both).

MC
ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello MC,

I haven't made much progress on the chainplates - competing priorities.

I was thinking of a similar repair to yours. My thoughts are to rebate or router out a channel about 9mm deep over the top of the old plates - not all the way through the wood though. Then place the new plates into the channel from the outside so they are completely visible from the outside but almost flush with the hull.

Then bolt the new plat from the outside through the new plate, through the wood, through a pad pies the closes the gap between the woood to the glass on the inside of the hull, through the old plates that has been cropped off, through the glass that covers the existing bolts. ie I was thinking of leaving the old plates in as a backing plate.

What do you think MC? Is this logical to you?

Cheers

Paul
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Chainplate access

Postby ballymack » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:31 am

Hi Paul - I am still working with the folks here on design, and I was planning on posting all the pictures for you as the project progressed. We are still very much in the "planning" stages though.

If you are in no hurry, I'll be happy to keep you up on progress.

One area that I interpret from your message in which there might be some variance on is the removal (or not) of wood. We plan to router out ALL the teak on the outside of the combing such that the new chainplates (which will live on the outside of the hull vs. buried in the glass) will be based on glass, not wood. The view there is the wood is an inconsistent material, while glass is not. It should also look better in the chainplates will be flush against the existing wood/glass.

Outside of that, I think we are doing the same thing. The chainplates will lay on the outside of the hull and be thru bolted through the old chainplates (and their infrastructure) and into the cabin.

All of this is a work in progress, and I suspect we will do the work in November or December, and I really want it all completed by the end of the year.

Hope that helps.

Mike
ballymack
Cabinboy

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:19 am

Mike,

Agree re your comment on wood and GRP. Its sounds as though we will do the same thing also.

I would be good to stay in touch.

Thanks for the communication thus far.

Paul
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Postby lonesome_boatman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:49 am

Hi Guys
I have read this post with interest and dread. 33's have similar issue's with chainplates. What were they thinking MS & SS!. It can only be explained in that Hansa were great boat builders but as metal fabricators they were incompetent. Search the posts in the 33 forum for chainplates and Riggsy posts and photos.
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Postby sv_pacific_pearl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 am

Giday Mick,

I know what you mean. The links above (the 33' repairs) look a bit different than my boat. The boat Rigsy worked in one of the links shows the plates being attached with a welded a horizontal beam. Not sure my boat has that.

I hope not anyway.

Cheers

Paul
sv_pacific_pearl
Crew

Chainplate access

Postby ballymack » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 am

Hi Paul (and others). Finally got around to fixing our chainplate issues. Rather than dig into the hull, we elected to move the chainplates out, against the hull. This resolves the inspection issue and required minimal movement of shrouds (lateral movement of about 2 inches).

We had 6 new chainplates manufactured here locally in Vancouver by Pro-Tech. They did a fabulous job.

We then thru bolted the chainplates to the hull using between 4 and 8 bolts, depending on the location. If I remember correctly, we upgraded to 1/2 inch steel. Above the deck, we went through the combing and put a faceplate on the interior (bolts were cut to ensure minimal probability of clipping my shinbone while walking around on deck). Below deck, we had to go into the main cabin. For now, all the bolts are visible and will remain so until we get back from the Vic-Maui trip. We would like to have visual on them given this is a new project. Will likely hide them over time.

All in all, I was very pleased with the minimal intrusion into the cabin (one chainplate is right behind my circuit panel), and I feel much better about going offshore now. A fair amount of water came out of one hole, but we were overall pleased that the combing above the deck seemed solid. All were drilled through the existing chainplates and through whatever steel bar runs perpendicular to the chainplates for anchoring purposes.

Below are some pictures. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want more or have further questions. :( Looks like I cannot get the pictures to load. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to e-mail them.
ballymack
Cabinboy

Next

Return to HC48