HC 41 water tanks

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

HC 41 water tanks

Postby svseahound » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi there - I'm new to HCOA - - and am the owner of 1986 HC41, shoal draft.

I'm a bit mystified by the water tank configuration.

THIS MUCH I KNOW:
1. There are two stainless tanks under the floor boards. One at midships the other is forward, just past the compression post
2. There is ONE deck fill
3. There is a one inch hose connecting the fwd tank the midship tank.
4. There are flow valves under the floor board at the the galley. Down stream of the valve, they join via a T connection and then go to the pump.
5. When I fill the tank(s) - - I get to a point where the overflow drain (into the galley sink) is flowing freely (not just spitting) - which I interpreted as BEING FULL.

SO far so good - - except - I can't seem to get the second (midships) tank filled / when I open the flow valve, the pump draws mostly air and eventually pumps dry.

WHAT I DON'T KNOW:
1. What is the proper procedure for filling BOTH tanks to capacity?
2. What are the individual capacities of each tank?
3. Am I correct in assuming the deck fill goes to the forward tank - and then gravity fills the midships tank through the one inch connector between the tanks?
4. Is there a valve that I need to open to allow water to flow from fwd tank to midship tank?

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ramiro Medina
s/v Sea Hound, Los Angels.
svseahound
Landlubber

Re: HC 41 water tanks

Postby mimoza » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Both tanks should fill using the single deck fill. This should be automatic, but don't fill too fast. Once the fwd tank is full, the water will have nowhere to go but the midship tank.

Reading between the lines, I suspect that you are running out of water before expected. I have 120G total capacity on my 33. You should have similar capacity.

You should have two valves, one from each tank at the T fitting before the pressure pump.
When drawing from one tank, the other valve must be closed. If you don't do this, the pump will draw from whichever tank is 'easier.' Both tanks will drain until one becomes empty. After that the pump will draw air, regardless of whether there is still water in the other tank.
To repeat, you can draw from only one tank. The other valve must be closed. Once the current tank is empty, switch both valves (open=>closed ; closed => open) to switch to the other tank.
Hope this helps.

Fair winds,
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby svseahound » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:21 pm

mimoza - -thanks -- thats what I thought.

HOWEVER - - When I'm filling - -- (slowly...) I get to the point where water is "flowing" steadily, vs. spitting from the vent outlet in there sink - AND - water backs up and out of the deck fill intake. At this point - -I assume BOTH tanks are FULL. However - - -when I close the valve on the fwd tank and open the tank on there aft / midships tank - - all I get is air.

Leads me to conclude that either the lines (hoses) from the aft / midships tank are fouled somehow - - OR the tank is not filling...

Agree? I suppose I have to trouble shoot the hose - and / or open the inspection port to that tank and visually confirm fill level...
svseahound
Landlubber

Postby mimoza » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Could be a couple things.
For the fill issue, disconnect the fill hose at the midship tank and see whether water is coming out when filling. A little water in the bilge never hurt anyone. Also check the vent.
The feed hose from the pickup tube could also be faulty - easy fix.
But you might have a broken pickup line (the jokes just write themselves). I don't need to tell you this would be a pain.

Good luck.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby svseahound » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

thx
svseahound
Landlubber

Return to HC34, HC36, HC41, HC PilotHouses, Union, Mariner Polaris