Removing water from fuel tank

Messages Previous to the current forums.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby freespirit » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:10 pm

We have evidence of a small amount of water in the fuel tank on our 1984 #60 33T. Four years ago we went through the effort of removing the fuel tank stainless steel top to clean the tank (located under the galley and dinette table). This time we prefer to simply go through the fuel pick up pipe, which is located directly above the deepest part of the tank, with a small diameter hose to pull the water out. Anyone else tried this approach or have a better idea? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Chuck and Kathy. First Light
Cathy Winkler
s/v Free Spirit
HC33T #101
freespirit
Cabinboy

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 pm

Since the bottom of the tank is a "V" shape I suspect you could put a hose down the fill fitting and feel for the bottom. We used a Par pump ment for fuel that looks like the cylinder bilge pumps. Pump into a bucket. It helps if the hose is clear like potable water hose so you can see what coming up early on.
Anonymous

Postby freespirit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:52 pm

Stephen, did you go through the deck mounted fuel fill pipe, the fuel pipe mounted on the top of the tank where the fuel cut off is, or did you take the stainless steel top off of the entire tank (under the galley sink) as we have done in the past? Or, finally, did you install a separate fuel fill/inspection port on the top of the tank near the fuel cut off? Perhaps I should state that on FL, our fuel cut off is mounted just about directly over the deepest part of the tank, immediately under the dust pan at the bottom of the companionway. Thanks for your assistance, Chuck, First Light, 1984 33T, #60.
Cathy Winkler
s/v Free Spirit
HC33T #101
freespirit
Cabinboy

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:35 pm

Charles, <BR> <BR>Look in this thread: "Hans Christian Owners Association Message Board > Engine Room, Generators and Propulsion > Fuel, Fuel systems and Oil > Cleaning of Fuel Tanks" <BR> <BR>Photo: <a href="http://hanschristian.org/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=414&post=2007#POST2007" target="_blank">http://hanschristian.org/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=414&post=2007#POST2007</a> <BR> <BR>I installed a deck fill fitting at the aft end of the tank directly over the deepest part of the tank next to the existing fuel fill. I chose a deck fitting with an O-ring so I would have no weepage when there was fuel above it in the fill hose. It has been dry for over 5 years.
Anonymous

Postby boreas » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:31 am

Quite a few years ago, too many to accurately remember, i had the bronze fuel supply fitting replaced due to corrosion. The replacement fitting is a bronze shut off which was glassed into place. Fuel is beginning to weep from the glassed in area. My tank is not completely topped off but is down perhaps a couple of gallons. I did go to the thread Steve suggested and came upon the statement by Charles of First Light regarding a "geyser" if your are not careful.. what is the source of the pressure in the tank and why should there be pressure if the vent line is clear?
43t ketch Hull # 62
boreas
Landlubber

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Robert, <BR> <BR>The only thing I can imagine is shortly after refueling there will be fuel in the fuel fill line that is above the tank. <BR> <BR>For this reason those using a Hart Tank tender sort of tank measureing device should but measure their tanks shortly after filling. <BR> <BR>It was for this reason that I was careful to chose a deck fill fitting with an O-ring seal for my mini inpsection port.
Anonymous

Return to Archive 2 - 2003-2005