[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - windvane self steering HC43T

windvane self steering HC43T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

windvane self steering HC43T

Postby dacapo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:09 am

I´m about to buy wind vane self steering for our 43T and would appreciate any advice/recommendations from other owners regarding the various systems available. I´m particularly keen to avoid lines in the cockpit and would like to try and get a model that won´t require modification (to keep installation as simple as possible) ie. from a supplier with knowledge or experience of the Hans Christian stern profile.
Thanks
Tony f
dacapo
Landlubber

Postby johnrobinson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 am

Tony; I have installed a Cape Horn wind vane on our 43T. I haven't been offshore with it but know know that s/v Ulu, a 43T used one from New York to New Zealand very successfully. I've used my here in Puget Sound and am happy with it. I selectedif because it doesn't require lines in the cockpit connecting to the wheel . . it uses a vertically oriented quadrant inside the lazerette that is connected via block and tackle to the ships steering quadrant. They have a very good website that explains the installation and operation. If you send me an e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of my installation. They are not just bolt-on projects like a Monitor . . . there is some work involved in the installation but the manufacturer is willing to do the install generally for the price of an airfare.

Regards, John
s/v Crossings
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby dacapo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks John, I´d certainly be interested in looking at any photo´s you have. My e mail address is yachteuropa@hotmail.com and I´ll take a look at the web site too

tony
dacapo
Landlubber

Postby ccam » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Hey John,
I've just ordered one for the Horse and am very excited. Did you do the install yourself? It looks pretty strait forward with the pics online.

thanks
clc
Cam
s/v Sea Horse
1984 HC 33T #61
ccam
Crew

Postby johnrobinson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Cam;
Yes a friend and I did it. I was originally going to have Yves do it but our scheudles ended up conflicting so we just went for it. THe installation manual is very good. The only thing I'd add is to make the span between the turning block to the rudder quadrant and the block attached to the rudder quadrant as long as possible and at 90 degrees so you get the maximum leverage in the tackle.

Regards, John
s/v Crossings, Seattle
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby ccam » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks John,
I should be installing within a month and hopefully I have measured correctly. Appreciate the reply.
Cam
s/v Sea Horse
1984 HC 33T #61
ccam
Crew

Postby dacapo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 am

The Cape Horn seems to be a popular choice. Does anyone have experience of the Hydrovane which is the other model we´re considering at the moment?
dacapo
Landlubber

Postby apropos43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:56 pm

I have a Fleming self steering vane that came with my boat but hasn't been installed. It's an 80's vintage (major). Looks like the previous owner ran the control lines into the lazerette, then into the cockpit via the footwell under the helm seat. From there I'm not sure how it got tied into the wheel (I haven't located a wheel drum). My question is: since the lines go thru the lazerette, can I tie them into the quadrant for moving the rudder post? I suspect not since the origianl install wasn't done this way, but don't know why this wouldn't work (not sure how it could easily be disabled though when taking over control of steering manually). I see Johns setup with a newer/different model that has part of the mechanism inside the laz and ties into the quadrant. No lines in the cockpit seems like a good way to go. Also, does anyone have an owners manual for the older Fleming model?

Thanks!
Jim
SV Apropos
'82 HC43 Ketch #64
apropos43
Crew

Return to Windvanes, Solar Panels, Alternative Enerrgy