Sinking mast

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Sinking mast

Postby tipitina » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Gday, we own a 43 Hans Christian Christina and I have a growing worry that the mast may be sinking. The compression post doesn't show any visible signs of corrosion but it seem to run through into the keel without a flange bedded onto the surface of the bilge. I have noticed cracking in the laminate around the house windows, cracking on deck around the mast base and when I eye off the deckhead from inside the cabin it seems it may of sagged a bit around the compression post. I have owned her just short of a year so I haven't had a chance to compare changes. I have also noticed a 1/2" teak shim that has been added to the base of the compression post. Has anyone else had any issues with this?
Thanks.
tipitina
Landlubber

Re: Sinking mast

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:19 pm

You might want to visit Mi Gitana's web page. As I recall they had a similar issue on their HC 48. You can find the site here: http://www.migitana.com/.

Check their log in 2006, April on.

Bill
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby scleary » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:11 pm

I had this problem on my 48 (www.valentinesailing.com). The issue was the material between the top of the post and the deck, rather than at the bottom. Likely rot there from water intrusion from the mast (which was my problem). We put a delrin block in place, problem solved (mast off, deck goes back to where it should be, delrin block inserted).

Thanks,
Steve
scleary
Crew

Postby pinayreefer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:17 am

Ugh, I'm having the same problem. We looked for a while for the right HC43, one where the teak deck had already been replaced, but they didn't pull the mast when they did it, so now the core between the fiberglass and compression post is apparently deteriorating. We too noticed the laminate around portlights was cracking, but not sure that was the cause. Then we found the bobstays beginning to get some slack, and the liner around the compression post is beginning to be crushed. Next week we go in the yard to pull the mast and fix the problem. Thanks to scleary who outlined how he repaired his.
pinayreefer
Landlubber

Postby stormbay » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:54 am

pinaryreefer, it sounds like you have the same problem with your mast step that we did. My wife wrote a post with a bunch of pics detailing what we did to fix it if you care to take a look http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/2013/05/step-off.html
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby pinayreefer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Well, we're in the yard and removed the mast, bowsprit and compression post. The real culprit was the bowsprit. Not properly sealed at bolt holes so rot set in. Allowed play in the sprit which showed in loose whisker stays. Also, the compression post dropped about 3/8" due to deterioration of bilge plate. Nothing wrong at the deck at all. Since we had to replace the water tanks anyway, it was only possible by removing the compression post, so in theory it turned into a lot less money than having to do deck work under the mast. I guess that helps reiterate the maxim, "DON'T PANIC! when it comes to HC repairs! Oh, an after finding out that the bowsprit would need to be replaced, but the standing rigging did not, I felt like I'd gotten off cheap with $2200 for the bowsprit, made this time of Sapele.
pinayreefer
Landlubber

Postby tranquility » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Uh Oh, maybe I should panic after all. After thinking things were going to go great, it was discovered that the nice bronze compression post is actually a fairly thin tube of bronze with a carbon steel pipe inside taking the real load of the mast. It seems impossible to remove it from the bronze tube and it is rusting. Banging on the tube with a rubber mallet produced lots of rust falling out the end. Appears to be mostly at the lower section where the wiring exits the post. Serious consultation with the machinist and yard manager to ensue.
Anyone else experienced this? Might result in a replacement post, likely of stainless instead of bronze.
tranquility
Landlubber

Postby svmystique » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 pm

I can remember that same issue coming up about 15 or so years ago from several 43 owners. Our boat has a SS compression post so it does not have that issue. However, a number of 43 and 38 owners have described this issue with mild steel posts that have a pretty polished brass outer shell. Serious rot/rust/corrosion is always the result. The only successful cure I have heard of is to drop the mast, measure the hell out of the comp post and then cut it out and replace it. You can use a hat section plate on top of the keel so that there is only a heavy tube going through the flooring. Use a heavy plate on top, and perhaps the original teak plate above that will need a thicker replacement in order for it all to fit in properly.

Best of luck to you!
svmystique
Crew

Postby breagh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Just discovered the same corrosion on the mild steel tube on my 41 , what did you end up doing to solve this?

C.
breagh
Cabinboy

Return to HC43