Cape Horn Self Steering

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Cape Horn Self Steering

Postby Moon Shadow » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:24 am

I have been researching self stearing units and am contemplating a Cape Horn. The promo information indicates that some HC's have installed these units.What is the feedback?
Moon Shadow

Postby rob_leacock » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:42 am

Moonshadow,

My 43T Ulu has a Capehorn. It has operated without incident and is easy to use. It was installed by the previous owner who wrote an article on the installation which you can find in the Bilge Water section of this site (see Aug 2001).
Rob

1986 43T "Ulu"
rob_leacock
Landlubber

Cape Horn

Postby Moon Shadow » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:30 am

Rob
Thank you for your comment. I plan to order my unit this fall.
Glen
Moon Shadow

Postby johnrobinson » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:11 pm

I installed one this spring on a 43T. . . and am very pleased with it . . . be sure to take the time to carefully measure as the manufacturer requires since once you drill a 3 1/2 inch hole in the stern to install, you don't want to start "re-figuring" things. I found that after removing the lazerette floors and the steering quadrant it was surprisingly easy to get inside the lazerette and make the installation. Also I was able to fasten the turning blocks to the existing stringers and didn't need to glass in any additional blocks to fasten blocks to . If I can make it work I'll send some pictures . . .

So far I've only used it on Puget Sound which is really "lake" sailing but plan to make a trip out to the Straight of Juan de FUca later this summer for a real sea trial. I bought it in part because of the recommendation from UlU . . .

Regards, John Robinson, s/v Crossings
johnrobinson
Crew

Cape Horn Self Steering

Postby rchendrixson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Hello,
Are there any updates or photos for the Cape Horn system?
I am going to purchase and install this summer.

Thanks,

Ron -
rchendrixson
Landlubber

Return to The Sail Loft