Compression Post Removal

Moderators: mimoza, warmrain

Compression Post Removal

Postby captryan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 am

After reviewing 18 pages of search results for “compression post”, I have turned to all of you for insights.

I need to remove the compression post on our 38T in order to slide the forward water tank and waste tank out for replacement.

Problem is, I’m at a complete loss on how to get the post out. So far, I have:
-Removed the mast and mast step
-Removed the large water tank fwd of the engine and aft of the post
-Ground away all glass on top of and 1/4 around the plate in the bilge
-Removed part of the headliner around the post in an effort to remove the teak block in between the deck and the bronze post plate (no success)
-Put a come-along on the post step in the bilge to try and slide it aft

No luck getting this thing out. Are there gussets or protrusions on the bottom of the post plate set into the glass? Should I beat the snot out of the teak spacer under the deck to get some wiggle room? Right now, the post is tight between deck and bilge, but I can move the top around a bit with a piece of wood and a 3 lb sledge.

Could really use some help. Child number 2 is due in March and we live aboard, so finishing this project is urgent!
captryan
Landlubber

Re: Compression Post Removal

Postby clonjers » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:14 pm

you have already done a lot of work, so my idea won't work for you.

We cut that tank out, and replaced with a bladder tank.

Good luck with your project.
clonjers
First Mate

Re: Compression Post Removal

Postby captryan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 am

After consulting with coworkers on Monday, I was given the insight I needed to succeed. The base plate and inner compression post are stainless. To strengthen the weld of the post to the plate, there is a hole in the plate. This allows for the post to be welded inside and out. When the plate was put onto the wet epoxy, some rose into the hole, creating a plug that was impossible to break.

I sawzall’d under the plate, and was able to pull the post out. Forward tanks have been removed and sent to a fabricator for replacement.

As an assistant rigger in a big boat yard, I am lucky to have this support. I hope you all can benefit from this as well.
captryan
Landlubber

Return to HC38