Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

My attempt at simplifying tender launch/ retrieval on a 48T

Postby soul balladeer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:30 am

IMG_0763.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg
I've always kind of pondered the design of tender davit / motor mounts on the HC's when coastal cruising. Stowing / mounting the motor after launching the tender is a process that I would personally like to bypass. Sure, you can tow the tender but then when you are sailing you always are concerned about what the tender is doing way back there.

So, I set about to engage a reputable company on Vancouver Island with the task of designing a system where the motor could stay mounted on the tender, the davit arms could extend to clear the canoe stern when launching/ retrieving the tender and also provide ample clearance above water with a following sea, once the tender was stowed.

Would I leave the tender mounted on the davits for blue water cruises? At this point no, however, for PNW coastal cruising, the system we fabricated makes life a little easier when you decide to launch the tender and play. I also mounted two electric Lewmar 700 windlasses for lowering raising the tender/ davits and through trial and tribulation, we are closing in on a system that works very effectively.

The tender we've designed this around is an AB 12 DLX Nautilus which is a pig (870 lbs wet). Anything smaller/ lighter would allow the system to work with less effort.

So here are the pics of our little endeavour.

Cheers, Shannon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soul balladeer
Landlubber

Re: My attempt at simplifying tender launch/ retrieval on a

Postby mimoza » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 am

Excellent!
A bit more than I need for my little tender.

But I also like the aft platform with ladder.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Return to General Stuff