[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - HC33 Flexible coupling removal.

HC33 Flexible coupling removal.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

HC33 Flexible coupling removal.

Postby lonesome_boatman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:43 pm

The flexible coupling between the gear box and prop shaft has sheared, luckily as I was backing out of my berth at the time. It has parted in the rubber section and is probably the 30 year old original fitting. I am going to replace it with a Polyflex unit which are manufactured here in Brisbane. Any tips on removing the coupling from the shaft? Do you have to move the engine forward to slide the coupling off?. It has a lot of corrosion on the bolts.
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Re: HC33 Flexible coupling removal.

Postby jonneely » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Gave mine a look at not too long ago. Looking to repower soon and was getting my game plan together in my head. Mine looks pretty bad as well and will probably resort to a 4 1/2" grinder and just cutting it off.

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Re: HC33 Flexible coupling removal.

Postby lonesome_boatman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Jon
Thanks for your reply, no other help was forthcoming. I haven’t checked the posts for a while as I was locked out during the site upgrade.
The replacement of the flexi coupling went well. Learning as I went through the steps. It is all fixed now and results are exceptional, less vibration and noise under power. The only problems were minor cuts/abrasions/cramped muscles and dollars expended! You are correct the only way to remove the split parallel clamp coupling is to slice it through with a cutting disc. The retaining Allen screws were badly corroded. I partially cut it through from both sides and thought I may be able to expand/split it with a chisel, knock it back off the shaft. No way, luckily I didn’t wack it too hard as there was a key locking it to the shaft. You have to cut it all the way through from both sides. This was quite easy with the new Inox wafer cutting discs that are around now. The coupling on mine would only slide aft with the key in place, I was trying to move it forward! As the original coupling had ripped apart and the bolts on the gearbox flange are very hard to access I decided to lift the engine up and forward. This was well worth the effort as you have full viewing/access to the coupling and the gearbox flange. During this process I discovered I had two diagonally opposed flexible engine mount failures. I had checked them numerous times before as the engine seemed to be rocking at idle. When I removed the mounts I found two had brittle fractured main bolts to the engine mounts. The rubber in the mounts and the mount bed bolts were sound. These mounts were original as was the flexible coupling and misalignment induced fatigue over 30 years has caused probably caused both failures. The bolts on the back of the gearbox flange were also very difficult to remove because of corrosion, but persistence and patience will get them off. The new split parallel clamp coupling supplied by Polyflex has no keyway and was easy to fit. I positioned it snug tight and then mounted the new flexible coupling to the gearbox. With the new engine mounts attached to the engine I presented it back to the clamp coupling. The new engine mounts have slotted holes aft for adjustment and I followed the detailed instructions supplied so it is a breeze to get the specified alignment tolerances. A tip is check alignment at snug tight and then after torqueing, I found there was some movement in the bed stringers as I pulled down the engine mount bolts. It took some minor adjustments but it is worth the extra effort. And of course you have to recheck all bolts after about 5 hours operation. I wrapped my new split parallel clamp coupling with Denso Tape after the settling in period to reduce corrosion of the retaining bolts. Polyflex were exceptional in supply and delivery, I can highly recommend them. www.polyflex.com.au
Polyflex Parts As Supplied & Fitted To Respite:
4 x 1605.5 Y#2CTF60-20-16(50) Engine Mounts
1 x P534-4-(90) Flexible Coupling
1 x 921PP 534 Split Parallel Clamp Coupling – 32mm Shaft
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Return to Props, Shafts, Transmissions & Alignment