[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Shaft removal

Shaft removal

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Shaft removal

Postby rconing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 am

Hello everyone, I've just purchased hull 101 and am going through a small refit. I've pulled everything from the shaft but it seems either the rudder or the engine must be removed/moved to get the shaft out. I can't believe they would design a boat this way!? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Richard
rconing
Landlubber

Re: Shaft removal

Postby lhallberg » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Richard,

Can't give you any advice as I have never removed the shaft on hull 115. I did, however, remove everything but the shaft and stuffing box, so if any questions come up on engine, transmission or general wiring please feel free to post.

I'm going to look at some photos from my last haul out in June, but my first thought is to remove the shaft from inside out. Yes the rudder is probably in the way(?) I'm assuming she's on the hard? Can you post photos?

-lance
lhallberg
Landlubber

Postby rconing » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am

Hey Lance,

Thanks, yes I was in the process of what I thought would be just replacing the stuffing box with a dripless type however I discovered quite a bit of crevice corrosion on the shaft where the packing met the shaft. Unfortunately I've realized that either the engine needs to be pulled or the shaft dropped...both seem to be just as painful. Did you wind up lifting your engine? What type of gear did you have on your coupling..I've just finished wrestling off the old rubber coupling and planning to replace with a sigma drive which should help the vibration issues we've been having.
rconing
Landlubber

Postby singlehanded » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:10 pm

singlehanded
Landlubber

Postby singlehanded » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:13 pm

singlehanded
Landlubber

Postby imiloa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:53 pm

On our boat, we lifted the aft end of the engine with the main halyard. The engine tilted forward on the forward mounts. This was enough clearance the reinstall the shaft with coupler and seal. We did not have to remove the rudder. We have a yanmar 4 jh-hte with yanmar mounts. Only had to disconnect the exhaust, shift cable, and cut a few zip ties to let the engine move freely on the forward mounts.

Hope this helps.
Devon
SV Casita
1984 HC33
imiloa
Cabinboy

Return to HC33