Spiderweb cracks on the gel coat

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Spiderweb cracks on the gel coat

Postby andyv94 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Question, looking into purchasing a HC33 here in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if spiderweb types of cracks are common on HC sailboats.

These look to be more cosmetic then anything else and they are mostly around the main cabin (on the outside). The boat for the most part has been sitting
in the tropical heat with very little use....I will have a survey done of the boat but I was just wondering how worried (or not I should be)?
Are these a mater of sanding them down to the fiberglass and then adding some gel/epoxy to them,etc.....or what?

I do plan on repainting/gel the main cabin and possible the hull as well in the near future..........just wondering what the opinions of actual owners were regarding
these types of cracks? :roll:

HC sailboats seem to be overbuilt (in a good way) and very sturdy.....just a bit surprise.
andyv94
First Mate

Re: Spiderweb cracks on the gel coat

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 am

Andy, I don't see any responses but from my standpoint we don't have any spiderweb cracks in the gel coat. I don't believe they are an issue but nothing on ours at all.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Re: Spiderweb cracks on the gel coat

Postby andyv94 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 am

Thank you for your reply, I saw a HC33 in Kemah that looked like the
owner forgot about her and I noticed quiet a few spider cracks on the top cabin
and also on the hull, which really freaked me out because the sailboat that
I'm going to purchase has not been used in a couple of years.....

That's why I was asking if it was something to expect out of these beautiful sailboats

Thank you
Andy
andyv94
First Mate

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints