Interior woodwork refinishing

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Interior woodwork refinishing

Postby dalsaunders » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Greetings all,

I have just purchased my first sailboat; A HC 38T!

The interior woodwork has never had anything done to it, as far as maintenance, and is a bit faded and worn in areas and quite, well, orange.

I would like to restore the woodwork to possibly a different shade but I am unclear as to the process. There must be a finish on the wood from manufacture I would have to sand first before continuing with some method such as varnishing or whichever or can I simply just apply some Daly's oil or something of the like?

Sanding the entire interior sounds quite un fun.

The least future maintenance option would be ideal even if it means more work initially.

Any input would be appreciated :)
dalsaunders
Landlubber

Re: Interior woodwork refinishing

Postby Bill » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am

You might want to try Murphy's Oil soap first. I don't think it will take the orange out but might put the shine back. The interior is done with a mixture of orange and other pigments. We have been using the oil soap for about 12 years and are always surprised at the depth that it will restore. When that doesn't do the job buy some bees wax and apply. When all else fails you can always do the re-finish job, but start in the head so you understand the hole you are digging :lol: there are sure to be more important maintenance items that come up with a new purchase which you will want to address long before you tackle the interior finish. JMO
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Re: Interior woodwork refinishing

Postby dalsaunders » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:53 am

Thanks Bill :)

Yes I am current working down the list of maintenance item as we speak haha. The interior/exterior will definitely be the last jobs. I would like to sail her more than tediously stripping varnish with a heat gun and scraper ;)
dalsaunders
Landlubber

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints