Cracked Skeg

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Cracked Skeg

Postby reverie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:57 pm

After many years of neglect, the good ship Reverie (1985 41T) - is finally receiving a full refit in New Zealand. A small crack in the leading edge of the skeg has now expanded to a rather large gaping crevice of about 15-20mm wide covering about 3/4 of the full height of the skeg. She's been layed up in the boat yard for nearly 10 years - and it's during this extend stay on land where the crack has developed. It's now time to make things right. Starting with just the obvious clean it up a bit to attempt to determine how we are going to attack the problem, I've made the unfortunate discovery that there are steel bit inside the skeg which have rusted - this is simply by initial observation of reefing a bit out of the crack - and yep - it's rusted steel. There's probably only one sure way to determine what's going on, which of course it open it up properly and have a look - but I would be extremely helpful is I had an idea of exactly what's in there. Anyone have any photos or drawings of why we have steel inside our skeg.

Thanks

Dan Bloom
S/V Reverie - Tutukaka New Zealand
reverie
Landlubber

Return to Woodwoorking, Fiberglass, Metals, Gelcot & Paints